Sony STR-DE197 in "Protect" mode

Rate this question

Sony_Fan

Question

I have a Sony STR-DE197 receiver. It is in PROTECT mode everytime I turn it on. I disconnected all the speakers and all the cables, and when I turn it on it is still in PROTECT mode. Is there anyway to get it out of PROTECT mode, without having to change some part inside. I wouldn't know how to do that. I tried to reset to factory settings but that didn't fix it. I just want to know if this is fixable before I throw it out and buy something else. Thanks.

12 answers to this question

Check and make absolutely certain there is not a tiny bit of wire grounding one of the speaker outputs. You might even shake it a bit (I think dropping it is probably too drastic) and see if something inside broke off and fell in the wrong place.

Otherwise it has to be fixed. Your power output must be shorted somewhere in the signal path.

Thanks for the response. I had 4 speakers hooked up to only 2 outputs, connected in parallel, and that probably shorted something out. So I actually had 4 speakers putting out 100W each, when the unit can only deliver 50W to each speaker when connected properly. It's my fault.

Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel produce a 4 ohm load, most amps should be able to handle that. However if you had two 4 ohm speakers in parallel the resulting 2 ohm load may be seen as a short to the amp. You are lucky the amp has protective circuitry built in, you could have smoked it ...

http://esupport.sony...y.pl?tut_id=294

The key observation may be that you have to be UNPLUGGED (not just in standby mode) from the main for 2 hours.

It was completely unplugged last night, and it's still not working. Whatever circuitry protects the unit, is what probably needs fixing or replacing. I don't know if it's worth paying someone to fix it, or just buy another one.

It may be that reset takes place if you hold the power switch on without letting go for 5 seconds when turning on. This will clear all settings. It occurs to me that it may clear errors too.

I got the service manual at http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/sony/str-de197.shtml but it isn't a lot of help.

It may be that reset takes place if you hold the power switch on without letting go for 5 seconds when turning on. This will clear all settings. It occurs to me that it may clear errors too.

I got the service manual at http://www.hifiengin...str-de197.shtml but it isn't a lot of help.

I tried the reset feature before and it still in PROTECT mode. I gave the unit to someone who might be able to fix it, hopefully he knows which circuit needs to be replaced. But thanks anyway.

i have a sony MCH-EC909ip mini Hi-fi music shelf system and it's been on protect mode for 2 days now .... Is there anyhow i can get it out of protect mode please i unplug everything out of the receiver and completly shut it down and it's still doing it flashing the protect mode still please i need some advice here and help otherwise i will just throw it in the dumpster and buy something else... thanks :help:

Protect surely means u have a short. Commonest is the speakers. Check your (external) wiring. Most likely at the terminals either at the speaker or at the unit where spkr wires plug in.

Jim may have some comment on this. But hes awful far away.

I have a SONY DE-197 stereo receiver with an ANCIENT pair of Paradigm speakers. Lately I am not happy with the sound quality of this setup. I suspect it is the speakers, but lately I have wondered if these are a good match for the amp as they are probably not the latest digital tech out there. I ask if the speakers are worth the effort and expense to have rebuilt or calibrated? Had this done years ago. Would it be a better alternative to go with a new speaker system, and what would be considered a good match for the SONY?