Is MZ-N10 NetMD unit a rare item?

Rate this topic

Sony_Fan

Very nice unit with lots of special features. Not sure if more/less reliable than any others. I have the N910, which is the roughly the same EXCEPT uses a "standard" NiMH gumstick battery like many other units.

Ay, there's the rub. The problem (if there is one) with N-10 is the battery. They are almost impossible to replace.

Very nice unit with lots of special features. Not sure if more/less reliable than any others. I have the N910, which is the roughly the same EXCEPT uses a "standard" NiMH gumstick battery like many other units.

Ay, there's the rub. The problem (if there is one) with N-10 is the battery. They are almost impossible to replace.

According to what Sony wrote in the leaflets about the battery, they will go dead after long periods of no use, but will charge up back to normal capacity after a few charging cycles. I really haven't used it too much, since I'm thinking of selling it for more later.

I meant that there is almost zero supply of them. Not that they cannot be physically removed.

I bought one used a while back on eBay and the battery was nearly depleted. At the time I was able to locate and purchase a replacement battery. I swapped it out (it was not easy at all, many small parts) and it has functioned fine ever since. Although just as Stephen said, the 910 it the exact same firmware and feature set in a package which accepts easier to source and swap gumstick batteries and it also uses a standard mini USB connector. With the N10, loose the special cable and your screwed.

I do not think the units are rare at all, I see them on eBay all of the time, anyone who pays over $100 for one doesn't know what they are getting into ...

I'm partial to the N10. Yeah the battery was a bad idea, and the cable too. But they have a AA side car and neat docking stand. I always wanted a portable with a docking stand. Looks great and works even better.

I have 2 of them and I use one for NetMD and the other I record House Of Hair with Dee Snyder every week. I have over 100 hours of recording time one the one and it's still going strong. There are probably recorders better suited to our unsupported environment :)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one used a while back on eBay and the battery was nearly depleted. At the time I was able to locate and purchase a replacement battery. I swapped it out (it was not easy at all, many small parts) and it has functioned fine ever since. Although just as Stephen said, the 910 it the exact same firmware and feature set in a package which accepts easier to source and swap gumstick batteries and it also uses a standard mini USB connector. With the N10, loose the special cable and your screwed.

I do not think the units are rare at all, I see them on eBay all of the time, anyone who pays over $100 for one doesn't know what they are getting into ...

I bought it for $20, is it worth more than that?