Any Interest in a New MD Pre-Recorded Release?

Rate this topic

zahne

Hey all, I'm a filmmaker and producer. I'm currently working on a feature film project that's got a very Monty Python meets Indiana Jones feel to it. The film has been in production for a number of years and is set to complete this summer. Along with stunts, jokes and big action we'll have a great orchestral score to match. The soundtrack will be released on iTunes, Amazon and the like but I was thinking about having a limited release on more obscure formats just for fun. I've been an MD fan since about '97 and we even used MD to record on set sound from time to time. Is there any interest in a limited release of the soundtrack on MD? If so I'll talk to the producer about publishing it. If enough people seem interested then I'll see about amking it happen.

I have always been amazed at the $$ some pre-recorded MDs bring on eBay - I suppose because of their rarity. If you were to do this - if you are able to actually get them manufactured - I would consider doing something like a limited run of 500 or something like that. Maybe 1,000 but no more.

What about 8-Track?

I have always been amazed at the $$ some pre-recorded MDs bring on eBay - I suppose because of their rarity. If you were to do this - if you are able to actually get them manufactured - I would consider doing something like a limited run of 500 or something like that. Maybe 1,000 but no more.

What about 8-Track?

My thoughts exactly. It might actually be a smaller number than 500. It's funny you mention 8-Track. I was thinking of having a limited tape release too. I was actually thinking of having a limited run of the movie itself on Betamax:-P

they do not make pre recorded disks anymore!

Very true. Let me clarify. These will be self published. I have the resources to make some very nice packaging and labeling. Much better and stronger adhesive than what's found on the labels that come with blank MD's. Alas they will be blank MD's and not manufactured the way pre-recorded ones are/were. They will be premium disks, with metadata, nice packaging, cases and labeling though. Again, this will be more for fun in the spirit of enthusiasm over the format.

If I had a Hi-MD unit I'd definitely do a limited lossless audio release too! We'll see if I get my hands on one!

Glad to see you folks are interested though!

I have always been amazed at the $ some pre-recorded MDs bring on eBay

This is a recent thing. Two to three years ago you couldn't get 99p for most pre-recorded MDs, and you would be lucky to see more than five a day being sold. Somehow the 'market' has exploded. I think one of the reasons for this is the sheer persistence of a few sellers. There are at least three 'private' sellers on eBay UK (and by private I mean they are dealing, but have not declared themselves as businesses), who buy up secondhand discs or bundles at auction for a few pounds, then relist them as 'buy-it-now' items at grossly inflated prices. Usually accompanied by a listing title that includes the word 'RARE in capitals. This seems to have paid off in the long term, and now innocent buyers are being duped into paying

This is a recent thing. Two to three years ago you couldn't get 99p for most pre-recorded MDs, and you would be lucky to see more than five a day being sold. Somehow the 'market' has exploded. I think one of the reasons for this is the sheer persistence of a few sellers. There are at least three 'private' sellers on eBay UK (and by private I mean they are dealing, but have not declared themselves as businesses), who buy up secondhand discs or bundles at auction for a few pounds, then relist them as 'buy-it-now' items at grossly inflated prices. Usually accompanied by a listing title that includes the word 'RARE in capitals. This seems to have paid off in the long term, and now innocent buyers are being duped into paying

My thoughts exactly. It might actually be a smaller number than 500. It's funny you mention 8-Track. I was thinking of having a limited tape release too. I was actually thinking of having a limited run of the movie itself on Betamax:-P

Very true. Let me clarify. These will be self published. I have the resources to make some very nice packaging and labeling. Much better and stronger adhesive than what's found on the labels that come with blank MD's. Alas they will be blank MD's and not manufactured the way pre-recorded ones are/were. They will be premium disks, with metadata, nice packaging, cases and labeling though. Again, this will be more for fun in the spirit of enthusiasm over the format.

If I had a Hi-MD unit I'd definitely do a limited lossless audio release too! We'll see if I get my hands on one!

Glad to see you folks are interested though!

It's a very good idea Zhane !

It's a pitty that second generation 1GB himd discs come with these little oval screen instead of classical large ones. Anyway for labelling them i use this software:

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/21927-labels-for-hi-md/page__p__150399#entry150399

Also, if you use 80 min blanks, would you use atrac 3+ 352kbps (slow- high quality) encoding? It is better than sp atrac and extremely close to pcm.

As minidisc access seems to not have cristal jewel cases anymore, you can find it from japan at :

http://www.ko-saka.com/contents/shop/MD1P.html

you can get them using www.pricejapan.com or (for french md user) with :

http://www.buy-nippon.com/

Minidiscaccess used to buy there md jewel cases from a chinese (HK ?) supplier. If anyone know one of these chinese makers I will be interested as it could be cheapest than japanese ones...

It's a very good idea Zhane !

It's a pitty that second generation 1GB himd discs come with these little oval screen instead of classical large ones. Anyway for labelling them i use this software:

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/21927-labels-for-hi-md/page__p__150399#entry150399

Also, if you use 80 min blanks, would you use atrac 3+ 352kbps (slow- high quality) encoding? It is better than sp atrac and extremely close to pcm.

He should use standard SP to ensure maximum compatibility. There are a lot more standard and NetMD units out there vs. HiMD.