PCM-M10 Folders Audio Gap?

Rate this question

ZooTV

Question

I was wondering if someone could help me with some information that I could not find in the manual. I currently use a tascam dr-08 but I'm running in to a problem.... perhaps the PCM-M10 would solve the problem...

Just like the PCM-M10 the tascam has its built-in folders of 2GB. If the recording goes beyond that, a new folder is created automatically. The problem is that there's an audio gap between one folder to the other once the track is merged.

The PCM-M10 has 10 folders in its built-in memory of 4GB. My question is:

1.How big is each folder?

2. If my recording goes beyond a folder, would I get a gapless audio when I merge the tracks or there's no solution?

I'm recording about 3 hours in 24/48K

any help please?smile.gif

4 answers to this question

Sony is known for their support of the highest standards of audio quality with their hardware. This is a top of the range recorder, make no mistake it easily beats the other offerings. You won't be disappointed when you buy Sony, whether it is audio gaps or any other issue. It never ceases to amaze me to this day the quality that this company is capable of.

Thanks for the reply NickyJay, so, can you confirm that I'll not get an audio gap between folders? also what 's the size of each folder when recording in 24/48k?

1. There is no audio gap on any Sony professional equipment (including our beloved minidisc recorders).

2. Can't say what the exact size of each folder is, but it should be more than sufficient to meet your needs.

Like I said, it is simply the best recorder out there at the moment. Stick with Sony you will do no wrong.

I was wondering if someone could help me with some information that I could not find in the manual. I currently use a tascam dr-08 but I'm running in to a problem.... perhaps the PCM-M10 would solve the problem...

Just like the PCM-M10 the tascam has its built-in folders of 2GB.

AFAIK there's no such division into arbitrary blocks on Sony products. I have the ICDSX750 and it is an almost full subset of the PCM-10 functionality-wise. Any folder can have any amount of memory allocated to it, there's a real file system here, 100% compatible with Windows.

I'm recording about 3 hours in 24/48K

I have done 5 hour LPCM recordings on the ICD-SX950 (which has 8GB instead of 2GB) and no such division occurs.

When dividing a track (which on the SX750 is irreversible) the playback is seamless after the divide. On the PCM-M10 there is the added sophistication of track marks WITHOUT divide, and you can do the divide at the end when you are satisfied. I'm quite certain there will be no break on playback even if the files are divided (by you).

NickyJay is right.

Note: I am not sure if the PCM-M10 does 48KHz (maybe only 44.1). But you can check that easily enough. It does indeed record at 48 or 96 kHz LPCM