Unable to register blu-ray player on internet.sony.tv

Rate this topic

lr101fc

I have a Sony blu-ray player that i have connected to my home network.

It obtains an IP address Ok from my router and then can connect to the internet ok.

I have sucessfully updated the software on the blu-ray player via this internet connection.

I went to advanced options, wrote down the 4 letter/digit code to register the player on internet.sony.tv

I keep getting an errror message on the sony essentials site to say I have an incorrect code.

I have checked the code again, it is showing the same 4 digit/letters as before

I have already registered the blu-ray player on sony.com and i have a sony login and password

I am unable to create the essentials login because of this error

I also tried to register my Sony Bravia TV, I wrote down its enhanced features 4 digit number, however the essentials site still says I have an incorrect code

I telephoned the sony help desk. I was told that there had been some issues with the sony essentials site, the person I spoke to has taken my email details, the serial number, date of purchase and the 4 digit code, but I have not heard anything back yet and when I tried again today I still could not create the essentials account as I am told that the 4 digit code is not correct

please advise me how I can get my blu-ray player and tv registered, thanks

Robin

Just off the top of my head, have you tried disambiguating the code? I have no idea if there are letters and numbers but the letter capital O often gets swapped with the number 0 and 6 often looks like lower case "b".

Wonder if this might be related to the problems for Sony, reported in the press the last 2 weeks.

I have never been FORCED to register any Sony product, and I seriously doubt that service would be refused if you kept your original purchase receipt showing date and place of purchase. If you bought cross-border, all bets are off because most likely the web site knows what country you are in.

Another point, maybe you have a French Keyboard (after all you are in France). Did Sony mess up and include a character that isn't in the right place (ie assuming QWERTY when in fact you have AZERTY)??? (or vice-versa if you are a UK transplant!)

Thanks for the swift reply.

The code that the blu-ray player has displayed is jvj4 so that shouldn't be a probem.

I did buy the player in France and I am directed to the French essentials website.

I do have the original purchase receipt as well so I am 100% sure of the date that I'm entering into the web page too.

Is the date an actual requirement of the essentials website registration ? Is there some form of check with date, serial number, model number and 4 digit code ?

Still no email from the Sony helpdesk, so I'm completely at a loss, tried again today, still have the same error message, invalid code

Please let me know if you hear of a resolution

thanks

Robin

Just off the top of my head, have you tried disambiguating the code? I have no idea if there are letters and numbers but the letter capital O often gets swapped with the number 0 and 6 often looks like lower case "b".

Wonder if this might be related to the problems for Sony, reported in the press the last 2 weeks.

I have never been FORCED to register any Sony product, and I seriously doubt that service would be refused if you kept your original purchase receipt showing date and place of purchase. If you bought cross-border, all bets are off because most likely the web site knows what country you are in.

Another point, maybe you have a French Keyboard (after all you are in France). Did Sony mess up and include a character that isn't in the right place (ie assuming QWERTY when in fact you have AZERTY)??? (or vice-versa if you are a UK transplant!)

The code that the blu-ray player has displayed is jvj4 so that shouldn't be a probem.

What about the 4?

That's a lower case on a QWERTY, but upper case (Shift) on a French?

Also dates might be in french order (yyyy-mm-dd or some variation) instead of what you are expecting (dd-mm-yyyy, or for US mm-dd-yyyy).

Hello again,

I have two blu ray players to register and a Bravia TV

All three codes are different as you might expect, however the sony essentials web site still reports all codes as incorrect

I have used a different computer with a UK keyboard, plus the Sony essentials web site has drop down menus for the date of purchase in the order of month, day, year (US format)

It does look like a Sony issue. My call to the sony helpdesk got me nowhere.

I tried to register a fault call on the Sony products website too - however I get a message to say there is an error with the web form I have completed. No indication to what the error might be either !!

I've attached that error screen here too.

So now I'm really fed up with Sony support - telephone support doesn't provide me with any assistance, the web based support enquiry does not work and the website I'm supposed to register my player and TV onto for internet TV access refuses to accept the Sony generated codes displayed to me.

Where do I go next for assistance, does anyone know ??

thanks

post-125514-0-76452400-1308339724_thumb.

Robin

OK, so now asked a friend to register the details in the UK on a UK spec computer

he gets the same error, when entering the same details - code is invalid.

I checked with the blu-ray player again today and wrote doen the 4 digit code

Some of the Sony quoricity sites are still down in europe, is this linked to the essentials site being down as well ?

Right, the website does not match your computer's (Windows) idea of date formatting.

Probably you have to tell your computer it is French, would be my best guess. Along with the default date formatting for that country.

OK, so now asked a friend to register the details in the UK on a UK spec computer

he gets the same error, when entering the same details - code is invalid.

That's exactly what wouldn't work, if they knew that was a French Sony product.

Another thought occurs to me: maybe the registration you already did included the site you are trying register on (same database) and so it thinks you are trying to use the code to register twice. I recall something of the sort with Adobe DRM for Sony Reader, if you followed the tram tracks everything was ok, but if one made the mistake of trying to reg at Adobe (as well), now you end up with two different passwords for one account, and essentially one gets bumped but you don't know what it is. The fix was to DEregister at Adobe, funnily enough.