Hi-MD Blanks @ 5.99ea

Rate this topic

chiefchimpy

No kidding, it's insane. This is by far the best price I've seen in a while, with most ebayers selling at 9.99 + shipping. I ordered a handful myself, it wont last. Amazon had 10 packs of 80 minute Sony MD's last year for what came out to less than $1.25 each, but that didn't last long at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The SONY STORES are taking the HI-MD discs off the shelf. The store near me took them off a year ago and they were at the warehouse. They were going to destroy them.

I had come to the conclusion to start buying them from the SONY STORE at 6.99 each and get a stash built up. When I could not find them I asked one of the sales people about it. They were not sure and sent the manager over. He told me they were moved to the warehouse. I asked if they would sell them and what the price was. He said he had to check and a day or so later called. He had about 125 of them and they were going to let me buy them at under cost each....

My suggestion is to talk to the manager at the Sony Store and see if they still have them at all, even at the warehouse. Give it a shot, you never know.

Keep Those MiniDiscs Spinning! WHY ELSE ARE YOU HERE?

• 1 year later...

uncleboko, please note that we are worlwide members other here.

a location would be helpful for those who can sell two Hi-MD blanks to you.

Classic MD blanks can also be used as Hi-MD discs.

Yes you are right, I forgot to mention that I am in the UK! I know that classic MD blanks can be used as Hi-MD discs, but only provide 20 minutes on PCM setting, which is no good for recording live gigs

IMO you don't gain that much with PCM / MD. The dynamic range, general fidelity and frequency response of 256kbps Hi-SP seem to me more than adequate. When you consider that dynamic range of "PCM" (1411kbps) is limited by definition to 16 bits, I actually have abandoned that format (1411) in favour of 256kbps Hi-SP (on MD) or 24-bit/PCM (on flash recorder PCM-M10). I'm sure you will have followed the discussion about the "bitness" of Type-R ATRAC, and learned that it seems agreed that ATRAC is either 20 or 24 bits already, with the last 4 bits (out of 24) making no difference to anything whatsoever. Whereas the much-prized LPCM is stuck at 16 bits.

The old myth about not having an (extra) conversion step between recording and eventual mastered output seems to me to be flawed - since 256kbps is still better than most mikes can.will do. (I await the cries of flame). As long as you use Sound Forge 9 or later (which knows about ATRAC), you should be fine.

Just my $0.02

IMO you don't gain that much with PCM / MD. The dynamic range, general fidelity and frequency response of 256kbps Hi-SP seem to me more than adequate. When you consider that dynamic range of "PCM" (1411kbps) is limited by definition to 16 bits, I actually have abandoned that format (1411) in favour of 256kbps Hi-SP (on MD) or 24-bit/PCM (on flash recorder PCM-M10). I'm sure you will have followed the discussion about the "bitness" of Type-R ATRAC, and learned that it seems agreed that ATRAC is either 20 or 24 bits already, with the last 4 bits (out of 24) making no difference to anything whatsoever. Whereas the much-prized LPCM is stuck at 16 bits.

The old myth about not having an (extra) conversion step between recording and eventual mastered output seems to me to be flawed - since 256kbps is still better than most mikes can.will do. (I await the cries of flame). As long as you use Sound Forge 9 or later (which knows about ATRAC), you should be fine.

Just my $0.02

Many thanks for your reply which is very interesting. My tired ears certainly cannot tell the difference between the sound of PCM and Hi-SP, definitely food for thought. In fact I have been using a Skytronics stereo tie clip mic for recording gigs - cost £15 from Amazon which gives superb sound - every bit as good as recordings made with Shoeps (more cries of flame!!).

If you're still looking for 1GB Hi-MD blanks, there's several lots of 2 new/unopened discs on eBay UK at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=hi-md+blanks&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Just got a couple myself, £15 each disc, so by no means cheap, but that seems the going rate now. Sorry, don't have any 'spares' myself..

If you're still looking for 1GB Hi-MD blanks, there's several lots of 2 new/unopened discs on eBay UK at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=hi-md+blanks&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Just got a couple myself, £15 each disc, so by no means cheap, but that seems the going rate now. Sorry, don't have any 'spares' myself..

Thanks for that.