a new alibaba cavern for us in Vietnam

Rate this topic

PhilippeC

A new member - phamcu - sent me a PM.

He was at first

- MD lover

- searching for decks

- vietnamese and only vietnamese speaking living in the same town than me (Saigon)

But in fact he his

- an electronic ingeener

- repair decks, high end decks I mean...

- re-sell them to saigon vietnamese MD passionate lovers...

see here http://www.5giay.vn/showthread.php?t=3360572 (don't salivate too much, 1T = 50$)

I could be an intermediate as usual

I think I have found the guy that will repair my MDS-B5, perhaps my two Hi-MD portable units and my CD player Cyrus daD3.

The only likely problem for most people here (apart from the unfamiliarity of language and possible worries about shipment) is that VN is on 220V, so will not be so good for those of us in USA or Canada.

A very nice find though. Hard to work out the currency, looks like the JE640 is $100 but that doesn't match what I can find about the dong which is about 2,000,000 to the dollar AFAIK.

There are some amusements in his contact information (as translated by google), I will spare y'all.

Stephen

The only likely problem for most people here (apart from the unfamiliarity of language and possible worries about shipment) is that VN is on 220V, so will not be so good for those of us in USA or Canada.

A very nice find though. Hard to work out the currency, looks like the JE640 is $100 but that doesn't match what I can find about the dong which is about 2,000,000 to the dollar AFAIK.

There are some amusements in his contact information (as translated by google), I will spare y'all.

Stephen

As of today, 1.00 USD = 20,560.00 VND, according to http://www.xe.com/ucc/ (they are usually accurate).

Does that work out better? I am curious, though, where you saw the higher figure. Speaking of 220V, yesterday I saw an MDS-W1 on Ebay. It was a UK model, likewise @ 220V. That was the first MDS-W1 listing I've seen on Ebay in a very long time, not counting the guy who's been trying to sell the gold-colored one for what must be a year or two now. Wish I'd bought one of these when they were available!

Stephen

No; Stephen you are wrong, voltage is 220V in Vietnam. MD decks can anyway easily be modifed if they are still 100V (Japan import), it is so easy to find a good & cheap transformator that people don't ask for 110V to be change to 220V.

1T = 1.000.000 VND = 50$

Yes Google Translate give me hours of fun when I surf of vietnamese audio web sites. But it exist and I thank Google for that. I sent some SMS using it and most of the time vietnamese guys did not even noticed it was approximative vietnamese.

As of today, 1.00 USD = 20,560.00 VND, according to http://www.xe.com/ucc/ (they are usually accurate).

Does that work out better? I am curious, though, where you saw the higher figure. Speaking of 220V, yesterday I saw an MDS-W1 on Ebay. It was a UK model, likewise @ 220V. That was the first MDS-W1 listing I've seen on Ebay in a very long time, not counting the guy who's been trying to sell the gold-colored one for what must be a year or two now. Wish I'd bought one of these when they were available!

Sony MSD W1

2T6 = 130$

I have seen it at 400 euros on eBay

That's what I said, voltage in VN is 220V. No good for N.America in most cases (110).

I just didn't understand the notation, T = 1 million.

I did have my eyes right in front holes when I rode your post. I suppose that It is easy for a guy like this seller to change the voltage if necessary or sold it with an external transfo (100.000 to 300.000 VND), I saw it many times. These MD decks are 100V before any change. Cừ (that is his name) will be in my house tomorrow at 19.00. My wife is vietnamese too, so that will be easier for everybody. My MDS-B5 is already excited to enter the dance again and my CD player Cyrus daD3 has cancelled his booking in a retirement house. He wrote me by PM that he has also a JA333ES but I don't know if he will sell it one day and a JA33ES. JB940 and MDS-W1 are fair opportunities either. Side that, he is searching for a JA555ES (asking me to bring mine from France...), a JA33ES and also Kenwood 9090 or 7020 decks.

I saw not only a 555, but also a 333ES on Ebay UK yesterday!

I know that the high end equipments often have a voltage switch or a configurable transformer. However the consumer ones especially the later models frequently do not. There are some strange circuitries on the different versions of the CMT-PX3 (DHC-MD595) so I know all about this. The basic idea is that you get the last 10% of the voltage from what is called a "bucking" feedback of the voltage - by feeding back the result of the transforming and adding (or subtracting) it to the final delivered voltage. This can work in either direction. The result of running my 100V-designed Japan built version (of the PX3) on 117V here may be that everything runs a bit hot. So far everything is within specification, though. After much messing around, I decided that the different version of the transformer was used and it's not possible to change that aspect of my unit; the FM tuner was the same, though the main circuit board itself turned out to be configurable by carefully reading the schematic and resoldering a bunch of resistors.

I totally missed that the decks in question (from your new friend's posting) are 100V. I personally have a voltage doubling transformer (110 to 220 and it would work in reverse, if need be) but this (and the plugs) are a hassle for many people who've only ever used one kind of mains supply.

I await with interest the report of your visit from this guy.

Stephen

would your friend have a power supply for my unit Phillipe, would sure like to see if it works, and Stephen transformers are available, I even got on in Cayman for less than $20 CI which would be around $25.CDN

At least 50% of electronic second hand market here in Tao street is 100V, coming from Japan. I don't know exactly how they find all that stuff but pretty sure it arrive by huge quantity.

bobt do you want me to check something for you, I don't understand clearly your post.

First impresion is good. He look like what he say he is, an electronic ingeener. I have confirmed that all electronic second hand stuff is coming from Cambodia or Japan by huge quantity. What is important for us, is that it is still possible to find MD lens in Vietnam, not brand new ones, with no garanty for a full life as he just take one from a deck to put it to another deck, It cost 15 to 30$ for a second hand lens. He has also many blank dics that he has imported from Japan !

Next week, I will come to his home to take pictures,

My Cyrus daD3 CD player, my Sony MDS-B5 and my Sony MZ-NH900 has leaving home for a cure...

Thanks so PhilippeC introduced me to everyone

The MD desk from Japan using 100VAC power, Vietnam is 220VAC. The conversion is simple and harmless to desks. A converter transformer will be placed in the desk. I do not know English .... Google translation

IMG_4503.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

OK then, you present yourself in that topic !

Exactly like your other post this day, technical information is always well received, specialy to know the hiden and tinies differences between decks and portable units.

That is kind of you come time to time and even often in this forum... to practice your englishwhistle3.gif (like I do) !

Maybe you can setup an signature in every post with your details and informations about your minidisc activity and the support members can afford (for example, lens avaibility in Vietnam)

At least 50% of electronic second hand market here in Tao street is 100V, coming from Japan. I don't know exactly how they find all that stuff but pretty sure it arrive by huge quantity.

bobt do you want me to check something for you, I don't understand clearly your post.

if you remember I bought a Sony 980 deck through you over a year ago and it arrived with a broken power supply,if your friend would have one it would be nice to have a working deck

if you remember I bought a Sony 980 deck through you over a year ago and it arrived with a broken power supply,if your friend would have one it would be nice to have a working deck

It is still in mind for me as Pierre and me regret what happened to the deck duting its shipping. And, no surprisingly for you I think, I have already got in mind that Pham Cu could perhaps repair your broken parts, even with my own deck as a reference if he need one to repair your parts. Or (perhaps better) find spare parts here. We will rethink of this in two or three weeks, time I need to know more about Pham Cu MD business.

I have already some pictures of your broken circuits, maybe it will be usefull to explain what is the problem with technical terms to Pham Cu in this topic or send him a PM. You can also send him an email (su_su1972+yahoo.com) and send a CC to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Pham Cu's house yesterday but as it is the rain period; all decks have been collected in three big piles in the center of the house (windows are often not closed in time, so when rain suddenly arrived in Vietnam, it could enter the house specially when it is a house with 4 floors ! Therefore, it was difficult to make some pictures. Pham Cu has at least two or three dozen of decks, mostly in champagne color. For example, I saw at least three MDS-W1 decks. We discussed about lens and he showed me a box with around 15 of them. That mean you can order lens to him as shipping could not be that expensive. Note that I don't know if he would accepted to do that, I have no idea how difficult it could be to find them. For other spare parts, I think he could be the good guy for it. He his a professional so he will surely accept to discuss with you about the problem before shipping you anything (please remind he use google translator for english translation, but he has good english speaking friends). You will find his personnal email at the end of his web page, or send him a PM using this forum.