A Question About Recording Quality

Rate this topic

jmsla

Hello all,

I've searched but, can not find exactly the answer I'm seeking.

Has anyone tested or noticed any difference in recording quality between PCM on a Hi-MD disc and PCM on an ATRAC disc?

Assume all input possibilities: optical line in, analog line in and microphone input.

Or to state the question another way:

Is there any inherent difference between a Hi-MD disc and an ATRAC disc that results in better PCM playback quality of one over the other?

Thank you in advance of your experience and answers.

Cheers,

JMSLA

-Jim

Don't understand the question. What do you mean by "an Atrac Disc"?

By "ATRAC disc" I am intending to refer to:

A pre Hi-MD disc, .....legacy disc, ..... 80 or 74 minute disc that would be otherwise be used in a minidisc recorder that is not Hi-MD. Such discs can be used in a Hi-MD recorder and will record in the Hi-MD formats as you know.

Sorry if I used the incorrect term for the dicsc that are not the 1 gig Hi-MD.

Same. To amplify my answer, HiMD data is entirely digital.

Thanks.

Sometimes I think my ears trick me and I believe I hear a slight difference, so I was seeking other's experience and knowledge.

-ja

By the way, what is the proper and universally understood term for the 80 and 74 minute discs that preceded the Hi-MD discs?

Purely for my own records and notes, I now differentiate the two as MD80 and HiMD. (Yes, I know there are 60, 74 and 80 minute variants but I just find the generic label convenient). I have not yet found a need to label legacy discs formatted to Hi-MD separately from HiMD, ie 1GB, but I suppose the time will come.

Jim

Has anyone tested or noticed any difference in recording quality between PCM on a Hi-MD disc and PCM on an ATRAC disc?

Assume all input possibilities: optical line in, analog line in and microphone input.

Or to state the question another way:

Is there any inherent difference between a Hi-MD disc and an ATRAC disc that results in better PCM playback quality of one over the other?

The sound quality (to me) of PCM on Hi-MD vs. PCM on a standard MD is the same. The only benefit of the Hi-MD disc is much longer PCM recording time.

I like using PCM/Hi-MD to transfer my LP's to CD. I have also transferred LP's to CD via standard ATRAC MD and that sound OK too. But, there is a difference going from PCM/Hi-MD to ATRAC MD. Probably wouldn't notice much of a difference on a portable or car use but I can tell on my home audio system.

Just my two cents.....