Best MD Headunit ...... BMW Amber Lighting if Poss

Rate this topic

Hudson

• 4 weeks later...

MDX-C8970. Last Sony Mobile ES unit made, does include switchable amber/green illumination. The text illumination appears to be a white-ish OLED or fluorescent backlit job, but regular buttons and controls are all amber/green. It is not obnoxious looking like Sony's later X-Plod stuff. Looks high-end, as that's what it is. This unit cost $700 when new.

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDX-C8970.html

Includes voice activated controls, 7-band EQ, 6-channel electronic crossover control, Dynamic Soundstage Organizer, and listening position optimization. The DSP functions on this unit are very impressive, and the reason I have not yet attempted to find a replacement for my own. I prefer a clean signal path at home, but in the car, the DSP provided by the MDX-C8970 can make an enormous improvement on the soundstage compared to listening to an unmolested signal, especially the DSO and the listening position optimization.

Speakers in cars are usually in doors, kick panels, or firing up at the windshield or rear window. The DSO really does make it sound like the speakers are where they ought to be. On this unit, there are 8 DSO modes to choose from, but I usually stick with E-STD. Listening position optimization centers the stereo "sweet spot" on where you are. You can set it for front left, front right, front, rear, or all. If you're driving alone, you'll want front right, naturally.

I believe this was in fact the best MD head unit made, and it does meet your wish of having amber illumination.

Good luck finding one, however.