Possible MD movie sighting

Rate this topic

bluecrab

In the 2003 movie, Love Actually, there appears to be a brief shot of what looks like an MD deck in one scene. If you are familiar with this movie, it's the scene in which Billy Mack visits his manager's house on Christmas Eve.

There is a stack of three full-size pieces of gear. They are each gold in color. The bottom one is obviously an integrated amp and the top one is almost as obviously a DAT deck. In the middle is what looks for all the world like an MDS-JE510 or similar. I don't think this model was ever produced in gold color, so it's a bit baffling.

In any case the, MD display is on the left side of the unit, which eliminates most decks. And it looks like there aren't quite enough knobs and so forth. Yet, when I paused the movie to get a better look, it seemed impossible that the unit could be anything but MD. The loading slot was just too small for CD (my wife also thought so).

"Love Actually" has so many shots of gear (both full-size and shelf) in the background, that it's almost like they went out of their way to get background gear shots! There could even be more MD in it. I guess this will have to remain one of life's little mysteries.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched it a couple of days ago. Ya it's a little difficult to say for sure, but here's a pic of a gold je630. http://audio-heritage.jp/SONY-ESPRIT/player/mds-je630.html

Also, in the movie The Ghost Writer there is a n MZ-RH1 used by the main character to record interviews. There's even a reference to it where someone asks something like "You have the original tapes?" and the main character says "No, I use discs." And of course there's a scene or two of him handing a disc to someone for transcribing. If you didn't know what it was you'd miss it, but for those of us who know it's a wonder they didn't make it even more obvious, kind of a plug for Sony, but I don't think one actually gets a clear look at the thing.

The discs show up in all kinds of sic-fi movies. Johnny Mnemonic and the Matrix to name, Moon and a billion others. I always like seeing them.

Whenever I pull mine out in front of a twenty-something to change the disc they always look at it like it's from the future. I could really string them along. "Ya, I work for Sony. This is a new format that we're developing. It's top secret, hasn't been made commercial yet but keep a eye out because soon they'll be everywhere." :-)

In the 2003 movie, Love Actually, there appears to be a brief shot of what looks like an MD deck in one scene. If you are familiar with this movie, it's the scene in which Billy Mack visits his manager's house on Christmas Eve.

There is a stack of three full-size pieces of gear. They are each gold in color. The bottom one is obviously an integrated amp and the top one is almost as obviously a DAT deck. In the middle is what looks for all the world like an MDS-JE510 or similar. I don't think this model was ever produced in gold color, so it's a bit baffling.

In any case the, MD display is on the left side of the unit, which eliminates most decks. And it looks like there aren't quite enough knobs and so forth. Yet, when I paused the movie to get a better look, it seemed impossible that the unit could be anything but MD. The loading slot was just too small for CD (my wife also thought so).

"Love Actually" has so many shots of gear (both full-size and shelf) in the background, that it's almost like they went out of their way to get background gear shots! There could even be more MD in it. I guess this will have to remain one of life's little mysteries.

Whenever I pull mine out in front of a twenty-something to change the disc they always look at it like it's from the future. I could really string them along. "Ya, I work for Sony. This is a new format that we're developing. It's top secret, hasn't been made commercial yet but keep a eye out because soon they'll be everywhere." :-)

I got a chuckle out of that one, thanks!

KRBUSBY: "Also, in the movie The Ghost Writer there is a n MZ-RH1 used by the main character to record interviews. There's even a reference to it where someone asks something like "You have the original tapes?" and the main character says "No, I use discs." And of course there's a scene or two of him handing a disc to someone for transcribing. If you didn't know what it was you'd miss it, but for those of us who know it's a wonder they didn't make it even more obvious, kind of a plug for Sony, but I don't think one actually gets a clear look at the thing."

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks for this note. I watched the movie a couple of days ago. There ARE a couple of scenes where you get a good look at the MZ-RH1/MZ-M200, good enough that I said, "Hey that's an MZ-M200!" One of the better MD movie sightings, I think, and a good film as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Death At A Funeral," (2007 version) around 15:50 on the DVD and then a few more times for about a minute. Looks like a car MD unit. I paused and zoomed in, but couldn't positively ID the unit. Pioneer? The unit does not have a flip-down face. Little doubt it's MD, though.

• 2 years later...

Since this thread was started (by me!) back in DEC 2011 with what I thought was an MD sighting in "Love Actually," I've had a chance to take a couple of closer looks at the scene where I thought there was an MD. Except it isn't. It's a Sony CDP-XA20ES or something in that line of CDPs. I recognized it eventually because I have one. And while the XA20ES is an outstanding CDP, it just isn't MD. Oh well, I will continue to look closely for any movie scenes that might have an MD in them.