Track marks and which REC Level

Rate this topic

trott3r

Hello,

I have had my jb980 minidisc recorder creating tracks in the past for

radio recordings.

I have noticed recently that i get just one continuos track rather than

tens of tracks over a 3hr period.

I looked in the settings and have noted that the lsync is set to -20db.

It is so long ago since i set it i dont know if that is what used to work

or if i have reset it somehow.

Maybe radio has just got more compressed and so does not drop

low enough in volume to create a track mark.

What do other group members have there track marking set at (-xx db) for radio?

Martin

Depends on the input gain (ugh!). For each dB you add to the input gain you must add 1dB (ie less negative) to that -20dB.

However, you will want probably about -50dB set for 0dB gain. I have mine set on -44dB when I have 6 dB gain. If I am on 3dB gain then I have to choose between -46 and -48 for that setting. This is with optical input to record. -50dB is the factory default value. It's too bad that the firmware doesn't change the LSync value (yes you should remember to turn LSync on) as the gain is adjusted.

If the number is way too LOW (eg -60dB) you will probably never trigger the track mark. If it is way too high (in your case -20dB) it will give up trying to track mark. If you have it set a bit too high (say -38) you will get lots and lots of little track marks you don't want. It's pretty difficult getting it exactly right.

Another complication is that a lot depends on what kind of signal you use, at least if the signal is optical. For example the signal from my Terratec Audio Aureon fun will never ever make a track mark, for some weird reason. However the same program output (via USB) to PC Link and thence to optical on the deck will TM just fine. Very odd.

You'll have to experiment. There's no simple recipe - but maybe with the examples above you can start to figure it out. Once you have it, it becomes a life saver.

Stephen

Thanks for the figures.

So its possible that mine are too high but

Do you record from radio at all?

I wonder if its due to crappy station engineers boosting low sounds so they rarely get low.

+1 for analogue line in.

Track marks work fine when done from cd or music from a pc via a optical out.