Sonic Stage Hell

Rate this topic

krbusby

I'm in Sonic Stage hell.

I'm new to MD and have become a fan. I'm using the latest Sonic Stage which is great, I really love it. I made a few very nice discs. Sound awesome. But now it's crashing almost every time I try to export to the MD player.

I reinstalled the software and it didn't help. I can't even tell you why it's crashing because XP Pro isn't giving me any info, just a flash of the blue screen of death then it completely reboots. As a Mac user who is just using XP for the use of Sonic Stage I can tell you this is frustrating.

MacBook, 4 gb ram, 720gb hard drive,

Running on its own partition, not emulated, Win XP PRO SP3, Latest Sonic Stage

MD = Sony MZ-N1

Any insight at all would be great, even if all you can say is that you have the same problem, just so I know it's not just me.

Thank you

Hey man, thanks for the feedback. No virus.

It seems to be related to the usb transfer, at least the system only crashes while a transfer is happening. I cleaned all the usb contacts in the cradle and am trying a different cable. So for two good transfers with no problem... lets hope that's all it needed.

The frustrating part about the crash's is that the computer actually reboots. Grr... can't even see what the error message was.

Thanks again for the feedback.

For me it look like you got a virus instead of a Sonic Stage problem. But maybe somebody else have something else in mind.

It seems to be related to the usb transfer, at least the system only crashes while a transfer is happening. I cleaned all the usb contacts in the cradle and am trying a different cable. So for two good transfers with no problem... lets hope that's all it needed.

The frustrating part about the crash's is that the computer actually reboots. Grr... can't even see what the error message was.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I have had similar faults occasionally in the past with faulty units I was working on. I seem to remember it happens when the disc is being written/verified, and could be something to do with a fault on the recorder itself. I can't be 100% sure, but a cracked write head cable may have caused this. If this is the case, you will also get problems recording from an analogue source.

It may be worth trying a fresh or empty disc and recording a complete 80-minutes-worth via the line or optical input. If this succeeds 100% with no failures or an empty disc at the end, then it is not that problem, so you can at least eliminate it from the list of possibles. Don't automatically assume it is the USB connection, PC, a virus or SonicStage at fault, especially if it was all working ok before.

Jim

Hm... time consuming. Do you notice a difference in sound quality?

This is my first 'Net MD' MiniDisc, hence the SS interest/experimentation. I have 3 non-NetMD machines. (OMG! I have 4 player/recorders now!)

As I do not use SS anymore for transfer (I record ALL my music in real time from the computer), I don't have such a problem :dance2: .

Heya Jim, thanks for jumping in on this.

It's my first experience with a Net MD Minidisc Recorder so I have no idea if it was doing this with the previous owner. (Although he was a very honest fellow and told me the read & write lenses were replaced under warranty) All this comes after just 2 days experimenting. I've had about 5 to 1 successful recordings with SS. It certainly does seem to crash during the TOC Write phase after a song has been transferred.

Of the successful recordings they all sound great, whether through optical cable, RCA, or SS.

All I can say is it only happened once today out of 5 disc creations and that initializing the disc first with SS, regardless if it's a blank disc or not, seems to help.

Actually, thanks to you I was able to fix my gear grinding MDS JE-320 as well. (Cleaned the crap out of all the switches. Been perfect since!)

Cheers to you, Jim.

I have had similar faults occasionally in the past with faulty units I was working on. I seem to remember it happens when the disc is being written/verified, and could be something to do with a fault on the recorder itself. I can't be 100% sure, but a cracked write head cable may have caused this. If this is the case, you will also get problems recording from an analogue source.

It may be worth trying a fresh or empty disc and recording a complete 80-minutes-worth via the line or optical input. If this succeeds 100% with no failures or an empty disc at the end, then it is not that problem, so you can at least eliminate it from the list of possibles. Don't automatically assume it is the USB connection, PC, a virus or SonicStage at fault, especially if it was all working ok before.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Try uninstalling the drivers for the machine in device manager, then put it on a different usb port, then let it install the driver. I have that problem with my PC link sometimes and I think I have a bad port. Also try a different cable if that doesn't work. Do post what you find as that is how we learn. Good luck!

Yes.. I've had this port problem too, and the quoted response the solution (previously to my current problem here: this has always worked for me...)