Wanted NEW MZ-N10 Battery, called SONY today...

Rate this topic

quantumtom1

I am looking for a source for the replacement, don't care if it's OEM like this one http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lip3wmb.htm

Just need one for under the $38.40 + S&H that Sony Quoted me today by phone and email! Surely someone here has a source for them here in the united States?

Thanks,

Tom

lifesystems@cox.net

:help::king: me

• Like 1

That sounds about right. These are as rare as hen's teeth, as Jim Hoggarth, our on-board repairer found out recently.

Note: there's a way to use the widely available LIP-4WM listed there, but it involves a bit of work.

There was an outfit selling them for $25 but their price now went up to $55, so I imagine you wouldn't prefer that.

I replaced mine about two or three years ago and I think I paid around 25 USD for the battery. It was a bear to replace too, there are small springs and you have to be very careful to make note of where they belong ... My unit still takes a good charge and las time I checked it ran all day without a problem.

That sounds about right. These are as rare as hen's teeth, as Jim Hoggarth, our on-board repairer found out recently.

Note: there's a way to use the widely available LIP-4WM listed there, but it involves a bit of work.

There was an outfit selling them for $25 but their price now went up to $55, so I imagine you wouldn't prefer that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Hi-MD-portable-walkman-Lithium-Ion-Battery-LIP-4WM-/270607993813?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3f017e4bd5#ht_1840wt_1185 I found these on eBay but when you say "it involves quite a bit of work", do you have to have special calibration equipment or could a skilled IT tech conquer the job OK? They have them for < $10 att his link, Vs. $38.xx from Sony, don't understand WHY they change 1 # and chare 3-4 X's more for it, I guess it all comes down to supply & demand!

I think what sfbp means is that the battery replacement is not the easiest task to perform. As I mentioned, I have done it and it is pretty involved, a lot of small screws and springs, other parts, it is a challenge but if you can use a couple of small screwdrivers and and tweezers or needle nose pliers, you should be fine.

It's actually worse than that John. Even just replacing the 3WMB is a pain, apparently. But on top, it is necessary to adapt (cut? trim? I am searching for the right word because I haven't done it myself, not having this unit) the 4WM in the manner indicated by that guy who figured out how.

• 6 months later...

I think it is about time to let you all know I have perfected the method for turning a LIP-4WM into a LIP-3WM, but it needs the old LIP-3 as well as the new LIP-4 so that parts can be removed from the old battery and fit to the Li-Ion cell of the new one. After the plastic case has been replaced and sealed with a couple of strips of insulating tape it doesn't look like a new one, of course, but then neither does it look too bad. The problem now is that sources of the LIP-4WM are drying up too.

Replacement of the N10 battery is fairly easy: remove the top left case screw (the longer one), open the lid, slide the jog dial assembly upwards by a millimetre or so and it comes away on its flexible cable - which does not need removing. Unplug the battery connection, and slide the battery out. If tight (which it certainly will be after the replacement is fit), it may need help by levering with a small tool against the rubber bumper on the end. Fitting is the reverse. Remember the case lid needs to be open or neither the battery or jog dial assembly will go back properly.

Replacing the MZ-E10 battery is a different thing altogether, indeed this is a task even I do not like to perform! Very fiddly procedure, and possible to actually damage the unit. The E10 was never designed for the battery to be replaced of course - the hatch is simply for removal prior to binning the unit when the battery fails.

I could 'create' N10 batteries for folk if they want, for a small fee of course, but I am not sure if demand will be that great, or indeed if supply of new batteries will be consistent. At present I am buying LIP-4WM's occasionally for my own use, for N10 repairs and the odd one I purchase for resale. I have not yet got a proper picture of the long-term efficacy of these batteries, as I assume they are not genuine Sony. But the Chinese manufactured Li-Ion cells seem to be ok, at least the ones I have seen so far.

I have also developed a means of replacing the Li-Ion batteries in Aiwa AM-F5, F65, F70 and F80 units, but this involves fitting of a non-removable battery using high-density foam as padding to fill the gaps. It works, but at present I have only actually done the necessary work on the F65. I see no reason why the same procedures will not work on the others, or in fact any MD unit that uses the LIB-902 original battery. The replacement is only 650mAh capacity, compared with 700mAh of the original, but that slight loss in performance is nothing compared to an old battery that only last one half hour!

Jim