SonicStage playback problems

Rate this topic

pipe23

Looking for any help with a recent problem I'm having. I have SonicStage 4.3 running on a mid-level computer running Windows 7 Pro. The installation of SonicStage worked perfectly until recently, the problem is that any CDs I've transferred now play only at high speed, all other transfers such as ones from MiniDisc or Mp3s play fine, it's only the songs located in the default folder Program Data/SonicStage/Packages that are screwed-up. I uninstalled and reinstalled SS 4.3 but no change, any new discs I transfer also play at high speed. Any ideas on a solution?

To be more specific, and at the risk of dating myself, the transferred CDs sound like a cassette tape being fast-fowarded, like a bunch of squirrels arguing. It's NOT like playing a 33rpm record at 45 rpm, but it is like those old tape machines with a fast foward button

In addition, if I go to the default folder SonicStagePackages and play any of the tunes they sound fine, it's only when played through SonicStage that the sound is squirrely. That is the best way to describe the sounds I'm hearing, a group of squirrels having a fight , or perhaps some insects swarming, making a hell of a lot of noise.

I've also noticed that the elapsed time of the track being played seems to be correct, in other words the track isn't being played fast, it just sounds as if it is.

Would you like to arrange to send me a file so that I can see what is happening? If they are extension .oma, then you will have to decrypt them first. This means running the Sonic Stage "File Conversion Tool"

If the file you send (pick one that's not too big) plays ok here, then it's your SS setup that's gone sideways.

Stephen

Having listened to your sample and the sound you hear, I don't think it (that noise) has anything to do with the track. Sonic Stage and Windows are conspiring NOT to play your track properly, that's all. We shall see if any of my weird suggestions (sent by PM) work, and you can tell us (here) which, if any, do.

Problem gone! Turns out a video editing program I recently installed (ULead) was responsible. Uninstalled it and everything is now fine.

Thanks for the suggestions, not at all weird by the way, just never thought to look at video editing software to be the culprit.

Maybe it somehow takes over the output of sound play. There's a thing called Microsoft Wave Mapper - you may want to set your default play to something other than that ( I seem to recall that SS doesn't let you select your output device!), and configure ULEAD to play directly to the device that the Wave Mapper is playing to when you installed ULEAD. This might enable you to enjoy both.