Old school again, in style.

Rate this topic

exomoons

Hello everyone, Ive been an MD user since 15 years ago. I remember buying my first MD MZ-R50 and felt in love with the portablity and sound. I was so impressed that I bought another one, the N10 and was pleased with usb music transfer (somewhat restricted). Unfortunately when mp3 players and Iphones came out, they were stored and never see the light again. Well not until a few weeks ago when I stumbled across this forums and all the memories came rushing back. I quickly dug up my beloved N10 gave her a quick overhaul and a few full charges and she sings beatifully again. :)

After some research I decided to go back to MD and pulled the triger on the M200 and I must say its a product of art. The technology behind it is undeniable and it just look so sexy. The sound is incredible, those mp3 players and Iphones are nowhere near. Coupled with the JVC Victor FX700 it is defintely music to my ears (pun intended). But having lost most of my discs due to moving I decided to buy a few...welI decided to buy this:

topshibuya-img600x337-1340268993xiec9v39204.jpg

topshibuya-img337x600-1340268999z1pccr38647.jpg

topshibuya-img337x600-1340269004kdyk9839248.jpg

Yes ladies and gentlemen thats is 211 brand new sealed discs. :pleasantry: Maybe I'm overthinking but I'm stocking them up now, just to be safe. I havent received them yet but I can see myself very busy in the next few weeks. Cheers and enjoy MDing :imsohappy:

Those are arguably the two finest portables Sony produced from each era, the N10 a full magnesium body with Type-S DSP with MDLP/NetMD and a sweet sounding analog amp, and the RH1 which many of us believe to be one of the sweetest Sony machines made.

I love the car changer as well, I wish I could have MD in my car ... :-(

Thanks again for sharing more great pics!

Great stash there - especially like the Chum80 discs - never seen them before. 80 minute as well - great!

I have a small stash but there are some interesting discs in there - I will take some photos and update this thread on the weekend.

I agree Irman-UK, the Chum discs do look cool. I think I have seen a few of them on eBay in the past. I also prefer the 80 minute disks, my stash has probably 25% 74 minute blanks which is OK, better than 60 minutes! :-)

"I love the car changer as well, I wish I could have MD in my car ... :-( "

OK, I'll take the bait...why can't you have MD in your car? My guess would be that your car has one of those integrated consoles?

Back in 2006, one of the reasons I bought the car I did (Ford Escape) was that it was NBD to pull the factory stereo and put in MD!

"I love the car changer as well, I wish I could have MD in my car ... :-( "

OK, I'll take the bait...why can't you have MD in your car? My guess would be that your car has one of those integrated consoles?

Back in 2006, one of the reasons I bought the car I did (Ford Escape) was that it was NBD to pull the factory stereo and put in MD!

I wish I had the forethought to make a similar choice bluecrab! I bought my car new in 1999 about two years before my first MD portable. It is a BMW 328i and has one of those molded type dashes where the radio is all integrated.

As it turns out, BMW made a radio for my model car which is an MD player but it was a $600 dollar option and is now very difficult to find in the states, like nearly impossible. I have found several suppliers in the UK (with the assistance of Hudson and sfbp) but they will not ship to the US. I'll get one eventually, that is my hope at least!

Another option, which Stephen and I have discussed a couple of times is to rig up one of the Sony changers to work with my current stock CD head unit as the wiring is all in place in the car to plug in the changer in the trunk and the head unit is designed to control a changer.

Thank goodness my commute is only 15 minutes. :-)

Another option, which Stephen and I have discussed a couple of times is to rig up one of the Sony changers to work with my current stock CD head unit as the wiring is all in place in the car to plug in the changer in the trunk and the head unit is designed to control a changer.

There's a guy in Kyoto selling an MDX-66XLP right now via US Ebay. It may well even be that he has access to several of these. When I got mine I discovered that there were folks in Japan that seemed to have LOTS of these that they'd taken out of people's cars (legitimately of course) and selling this and other popular items such as RH1 as a business.

That's not too bad a price on that unit either, I'll have to give it some thought. Since the original head unit is designed by Alpine, I would not expect anything to be plug and play (more like the old days of Windows 95, we called it plug and pray!).

I am sure the control signals would be completely different. I know we had this conversation before, a couple of years ago. I'll try to find it.

I am out of town right now, but when I get home, I am going to call the dealership and see if they can get one of the original units for me. If not, I will look very seriously at this option again. Thanks Stephen.

• 4 weeks later...