SimpleBurner crashes in XP mode when recording to MZ-RH1

Rate this topic

NOStlgIC

I'm trying to use SimpleBurner to rip CDs to my MZ-RH1 in Hi-MD Mode (on a 74min minidisc) but everytime after a couple of minutes the app crashes (just disappears). I have to unplug my MZ-RH1 because it still records after the app crash. I checked Windows Event log and "bad block" errors reported on both cdrom (audio CD source) and minidisc. I already tried two different minidiscs, same result.

Could this mean my MZ-RH1 is dying? I can't try XP natively and Win7 is the only OS I got...

most unlikely your RH1 dying.

SB is probably never going to work perfectly in XP mode. It's a little too close to the h/w, unfortunately.

One trick you might try is to put the RH1 disc mode to "Hi-MD". Permanently. You can always change it back if you need to make NetMDs later.

BUT..... you were trying to write HiMD disks. In which case you don't need XP mode at all.

Be happy, install the NetMD760 driver (although you don't even need that right now) to get full functionality for NetMD under 64-bit windows. There's NO DRIVER needed to operate the RH1 (or any HiMD) in Hi-MD mode.

Probably you should deinstall ALL traces of SonicStage and Simple Burner.

When you install SB, there may be a problem getting the install to run - but you can probably fight that up to a point, with running things in "XP compatibility mode" which is NOT the same as the XP virtual machine you have been using (I assume).

That's right, I don't need NetMD. In fact it is already set to Hi-MD mode and I want to be able to transfer PCM audio to the minidisc. I couldn't find another way to do this without SB. Is there another method or tool?

I already have the NetMD driver for Win7 without which my Hi-MD drive wasn't even showing under Windows Explorer but I'm unable to run SB on Win7 (x64). I can manage to run the install in XP compatibility mode but I'm unable to run it... nothing happens after I try to execute it.

Tools->Options->CD Drive Settings->CD Importing->Select Format

There you can choose ATRAC/ATRAC Advanced Lossless/WAV/MP3/WMA/AAC/HE-AAC

"WAV" is just exactly what you expect it to be.

Nonetheless this is not the way I do it, or would do it. Use EAC to rip your wavefiles, import them into Sonic Stage, and then write them using the "as is" option in Sonic Stage Transfer.

I just did it (though heaven knows why anyone would, transferring to a portable won't ever let you hear all those bits when playing back, on a portable). It works. Even if it takes forever and uses up battery on playback like crazy, you can do it.

You can use EAC and then compress to LP2 or Hi-SP. But....

I strongly recommend ripping to Atrac Advanced Lossless (takes a lot less space than WAV) and then you can easily convert to LP2 or HiSP for portable listening. Either of these works very well from 256k AAL.

Just remember - AAL is only a ***storage*** format. When you play it, or transfer it to MD, what you get is the ATRAC part. The "lossless part" is there so that during conversions you get correct transformations just as if it had been ripped to the resulting bit rate directly.

The other thing (which I keep claiming, but at least one person denies) is that the AAL ripper works in high quality but the WAV ripper in SonicStage ain't that accurate (the former is slow, the latter quick). Maybe that's not really it, but going via AAL seems to give a better end result. Make sure you have AAL "recording quality" set to high (another configuration item), and the bit rate to 256kbps. (I think 352 may be the default, and I am unconvinced it makes any difference). 256kbps AAL converts nicely to LP2 if you have non-HiMD listening needs, and absolutely directly to HiSP (just throws away the lossless part). Forget SP when going via the computer, essentially you just get LP2 on disk with padding.

"Just remember - AAL is only a ***storage*** format. When you play it, or transfer it to MD, what you get is the ATRAC part. The "lossless part" is there so that during conversions you get correct transformations just as if it had been ripped to the resulting bit rate directly."

Isn't that equivalent to writing an almost identical rip to the MD? If not and the lossless part gets tossed away then it doesn't really make any difference if I rip directly to Atrac?

I'm a bit confused :mda:

Don't worry, we are all confused here, myself as much as anyone. The advice I am giving is a mixture of science, supposition, and pure empirical 'It works". Most of the criticism of these formats comes, I feel almost certain, from people who assume that conversion will always work and that all digital formats are equivalent. Not suggesting that to be the case for you. However getting to the same place may depend on the exact route you used to get there.