New A608 - some questions on getting started

Rate this question

Squee

Question

Hi guys!

I just got myself the A608 after like waiting half a year for the price to drop... :) still holding on to my net-md all these while...

anyway hope u guys would enlighten me on a few stuff to get me started

1. I bought my A608 in Singapore so i guess it is the Asia Pacific version. i know the latest firmware for A608 is the version 2.01 but that is from Sony Japan. there is no equivalent at the Sony Asia Pacific website. i'm wondering can i apply that to my player? also i just have to apply the latest version and not all the previous versions yah?

2. i currently have sonicstage 3.2 on my PC for my md. installing sonicstage CP 4.0 would be the best for my A608? or should i use Connect Player 1.004? can these two programs safely co-exist? also do i need to uninstall my current sonicstage 3.2 before installing the new programs?

thanks a lot!

hope to start using my player (trouble-freely) soon B)

16 answers to this question

Welcome to ATRACLife!

1. I bought my A608 in Singapore so i guess it is the Asia Pacific version. i know the latest firmware for A608 is the version 2.01 but that is from Sony Japan. there is no equivalent at the Sony Asia Pacific website. i'm wondering can i apply that to my player? also i just have to apply the latest version and not all the previous versions yah?

You can definitely apply the latest available A60x firmware - version 2.01 (from Japan) on your Asia-Pacific version of A608. From my experience, Sony’s firmware can be utilized between its devices of different regions. Thus, rest assured, there should be no detrimental effects.

2. i currently have sonicstage 3.2 on my PC for my md. installing sonicstage CP 4.0 would be the best for my A608? or should i use Connect Player 1.004? can these two programs safely co-exist? also do i need to uninstall my current sonicstage 3.2 before installing the new programs?

You can definitely have both SonicStage and CONNECT Player installed on the same PC. However, you can't run them simultaneously - only one at a time.

As for usage with the A608, you should upgrade direct to SonicStage CP 4.0 (you do not need to uninstall SonicStage 3.2, but do remember to backup your ATRAC library) since it include full support for features exclusive to the WALKMAN A Series.

Good luck and Happy Walkman!

hi!

thanks for the very fast reply! i understand better now :)

so i just have to install version 2.01 and none of the previous firmwares right?

anyway does anybody use the black felt pouch that comes in the box? the interior material surface seems to be quite rough... wondering if putting my A608 in the pouch will eventually lead to scratches... :huh:

so i just have to install version 2.01 and none of the previous firmwares right?

Yes, I believe so.

anyway does anybody use the black felt pouch that comes in the box? the interior material surface seems to be quite rough... wondering if putting my A608 in the pouch will eventually lead to scratches... :huh:

I've used it occassionally, but I do employ a "Protective Crystal Front Case" as shown in my pictorial as well. So, no scratches at my end. The felt pouch should be benign but you may want to invest in a silicon or leather (as mentioned in this thread) case to safeguard your investment.

Yes, I believe so.

I've used it occassionally, but I do employ a "Protective Crystal Front Case" as shown in my pictorial as well. So, no scratches at my end. The felt pouch should be benign but you may want to invest in a silicon or leather (as mentioned in this thread) case to safeguard your investment.

Can I get a "Protective Crystal Front Case" if I have only a simply A608 not winter edition?

I have to say that I've been tossing my A608 around for quite some time now without any kind of special protective cases (it spends all day on a lanyard around my neck too), and I haven't noted any scratches. What I do see is that dust has gotten under plastic to where I'll have to disassemble it to get the dust out, so perhaps a protective case would be good for keeping dust out of the unit.

I have to say that I've been tossing my A608 around for quite some time now without any kind of special protective cases (it spends all day on a lanyard around my neck too), and I haven't noted any scratches. What I do see is that dust has gotten under plastic to where I'll have to disassemble it to get the dust out, so perhaps a protective case would be good for keeping dust out of the unit.

I see... hmmm.. hope the pouch is sufficient to keep the dust out somewhat... not exactly easy to find a case for the A608 over here... :unsure:

oh one more thing! how long should i charge the player for the initial charge?

hiya, great price for the A608 (~$240). no good reason to get a 1gb nano. I should have waited for the price drop. :sad:

I'm looking for a small pouch for my E505 as well.

even those smaller nano pouches, which i saw at sim lim, are too big.

if you manage to find any thin pouch (ipod shuffle size), share it here :lol:

ah it's sort of to do with the GSS... the thing is only this shop sells at 219.. the Sony Gallery and other retailers are going at 379.. which is a crappy price for a 2gb non-colour screen player...

anyway i was so shocked i asked the shop people how can they expect to earn with a S$160 discount... they said something about ordering in bulk and still being able to profit...=/

well it's limited stocks only (left 5 boxes when i got mine) and the shop is an official Sony distributor (seeing the shop name in Sony Brouchures all the time) so no worry there... hell, it's even cheaper than the E005F which is going at $249... wonder who would pick that when the A608 is better in every way...=p

ahaha anyway Ishiyoshi how did you hear of our Great Singapore Sale?

ah it's sort of to do with the GSS... the thing is only this shop sells at 219.. the Sony Gallery and other retailers are going at 379.. which is a crappy price for a 2gb non-colour screen player...

anyway i was so shocked i asked the shop people how can they expect to earn with a S$160 discount... they said something about ordering in bulk and still being able to profit...=/

well it's limited stocks only (left 5 boxes when i got mine) and the shop is an official Sony distributor (seeing the shop name in Sony Brouchures all the time) so no worry there... hell, it's even cheaper than the E005F which is going at $249... wonder who would pick that when the A608 is better in every way...=p

ahaha anyway Ishiyoshi how did you hear of our Great Singapore Sale?

I travel(and sort of live in) to Singapore often for business. I do need to drop by Sim Lim soon. :)

Hi i know this sounds a bit dumb... but is it possible to hook up the player to the computer for file transfer without charging it? :unsure:

Am thinking that frequent charging will be bad for the battery what with the lithium battery having a certain number of charge cycles before it dies etc etc... and i will be needing to frequently connect it to the computer for file transfer even way before the battery runs low...