NH-14WM - Original or Fake?

Rate this topic

FuGui

Hello,

I just bought an "Original Sony NH-14WM" akku in retail package from a German online shop (not ebay).

Two things are especially strange. On the back side of the akku is printed "USE ONLY WITH SONY BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM DESIGNATED "FOR NH-10WM" and the fact that the retail package was already open.

Looking at the NH-14WM I suspect that the akku is not original but fake. Please have a look at the photos and give me your opinion.

Many thanks in advance.

post-130975-0-43690300-1346608642_thumb.

post-130975-0-89048300-1346608655_thumb.

post-130975-0-93848600-1346608664_thumb.

post-130975-0-90297600-1346608674_thumb.

post-130975-0-99490400-1346608683_thumb.

post-130975-0-91539500-1346608695_thumb.

No, the akku doesn't work at all. Charging in my Sony minidisc portables is not possible.

It even doesn't show LOW BATTERY on the display.

The akku looks new, but as the retail package was already open, it's difficult to determine.

But maybe the akku is just too old and therefore doesn't work anymore.

My opinion is this: it doesn't matter if it's real or fake. Real ones may be dead; fakes may work perfectly.

I agree that if the package was opened you should return it. But prepare for a dispute with hot words.

Most of these batteries can be woken up. I have never found one that could not. But probably the RH10 is not the way to do it.

Clean terminals of battery and unit. Solvents (TCE and isopropanol come to mind) and very sharp knives can be used to reduce the contact resistance from the surface of terminals.

If no effect, buy an r90 or r91 and try that. Try next a charger such as GP.

If the fault is in your portable, try to adjust it. If nothing at all works, repeat from the top with a brand new battery until you figure out which component is not working right. Eventually you will figure out the problem.

• 2 months later...

I am NEW to the forum and I hope someone can help me?. I have an MZ RH10 MiniDisc Player

which supposedly takes the battery MH 14WM. I have purchased this from Sony and online

distributor but the batterys will not fit in the chamber of my Recorder? The batteries are too

wide and thick! Can anyone help me with this? The MZ RH10 was made in Malaysia, if this

is any help.

Thanks for all comments,

4manpop

• 2 weeks later...

4manpop - that is a typical problem with the fakes that can be found coming out of China. Usually they are too long. Even if they do fit, the maximum capacity is often way below that which is quoted and which a genuine Sony would provide. Some decent non-Sony batteries are made by Vapex and GP. Try searching for these, or send me a PM and I may be able to supply you direct with a second-user, but still perfectly adequate, battery.

Jim

In the second picture: 'disposed of properly'. Don't remember mistakes of this nature on the real thing.

The truth is, even the genuine Sony batteries have this grammatical mistake. I have seen hundreds of batteries, and every one says exactly the same: 'disposed' instead of 'dispose'. Only the NH14WM and NH10WM, though, and not the Sharp branded equivalents. Strangely, Sony's NH7AA batteries from the same era do not have this error, nor do any of the Nickel Cadmium batteries, gumstick nor AA.

Jim

• 2 months later...

I have a few of these as well, I am pretty certain they are knock-off batteries. They don't always charge properly and they don't last half as long as an original. Some of them don't even fit properly.

Several folks around here have had good luck using a different brand entirely, I don't recall the manufacturer name but they are clearly aftermarket. The biggest difference is they don't try to trick one into thinking they are something they they are not (originals).

This is one of my biggest fears, I will run out of usable gumstick batteries and not be able to replace them for some of my favorite units and they will become non portable as a result, thank goodness for the AA sidecar.

Thanks guys, I looked for a source for the GP batteries have not found any yet. Jimma, thanks for the link to the Powerstream batteries, I am going to order two and give them a try!

I'll let you guys know when I get them. Having a source for these style of batteries is important!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For Stateside folks I found these at http://www.ebay.com/itm/360646645631 ... I'll be ordering about 4, as my Iriver CD player uses a pair! I suspect these will be better than the last set I ordered from Amazon, but no-name Chinese. Long term project is an adapter to be able to charge these in a AA NiMH charger/tester .. then I could see which are worth keeping around.

richardd, those are the same ones I just picked up, they work great. My opinion is they hold a long charge, longer than the knock-off batteries we hava ll been trying for the past five years or so.

In a couple of my smaller low power units E909 specifically, they seem to run for nearly 40 hours of SP playback.

Out of interest, just looked at these for purchase from the UK. The postage is three times the cost of the battery! Wondering if I could order several at the same postage cost (you would assume that would be the case, no?), I went through the checkout procedure for 5 items. Wow! They were gracious enough to give me a $30 dollar postage discount, so I would only need to pay $23 postage! Maybe not this time, thanks guys.

Jim

my best NH14´s are from the R900 and some Sharps.They´re still doin up to 90%

And for the fake NH14´s .. i did buy 2 in the (fake) original package and they also went great for about a year.Now one is bumped and the other is about 30%

They were in that orange karton package.Anybody know these?Look original but they aren´t as the ones from Sony come in a black package afaik.