MZ-RH10 Dim Screen, any fixes ?

Rate this topic

MD4ME

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem with my MZ-M100 (same as the MZ-RH10). This was a sudden problem. One day it was fine and the next the display was very dim.

The display still shows all the info correctly, and it actually dims after a few seconds like it should, it's just much dimmer than normal.

I got the service manual and poked around a little hoping that I could find a simple fix. The OLED sits on what the manual calls the "switch unit". I was hoping that since it was dim that it was just a power supply problem. I checked the two power sources on the connector CN471 that goes to the switch unit. OLED_VCC was 11.4V and OLED_LCD_VDD was 2.4V, which look correct to me. Since I don't see a "brightness" signal going to the switch unit I assume the brightness is controlled by a serial data command from pins 7, 8 and 9.

There are no schematics or details for the switch unit in the manual. It looks like it is just replaced as an assembly, part number A-1104-960-A. Of course, the Sony parts website shows that part as no longer available. A google search of the part number returns lots of sites that say "no stock".

Any suggestions for a repair? I suppose I could dig into the switch unit and see if I can find the problem, but without schematics that will be tough. I also run the risk of damaging the unit which although dim, functions fine.

Does anyone have a broken MZ-M100 or MZ-RH10 with a good display?

Thanks

Mike M.

Ive got one like this too MZ-RH10 i havent used it for 2-3 years and got it out of a box and charged it up but screen very faint. it works, i can plug the control stick in and control it via that to a limited degree.

is this a common fault, is there any histroy of screen failure ??

Before you get too downcast, try putting the sidecar battery supply and an AA battery (Alkaline, not rechargeable). If you don't have the side car, try the unit plugged into the mains adapter directly, no battery at all.

I know there are reports out there of OLED failing, but first I would be most inclined to get the unit up to spec on all power supply issues. There are NVRAM settings which may need to be adjusted (you need lots of gear to do it, sigh).

OP - if you wanted to BUY the OLED display, forget it. The last listed price was over $150. Ridiculous!

Interesing info.

Mine is the same on internal battery, sidecar battery, external or USB. Still very dim.

I don't think this is adjustment related. The two power sources to the switch board measure right at the design spec (see above note) and they don't appear to be adjustable via the cpu.

I took a look at the MZ-RH910 service manual and it looks almost identical. It does not have the 11.4V boost supply for the OLED. Those pins are grounded on the 910. It does have the same 2.4V VDD supply which I assume is for the logic on the board. I guess that the firmware would be different between the RH910 and the RH10.

How does one get in touch with Jim Hoggarth?

Thanks

Mike M.

Interesing info.

Mine is the same on internal battery, sidecar battery, external or USB. Still very dim.

I don't think this is adjustment related. The two power sources to the switch board measure right at the design spec (see above note) and they don't appear to be adjustable via the cpu.

I took a look at the MZ-RH910 service manual and it looks almost identical. It does not have the 11.4V boost supply for the OLED. Those pins are grounded on the 910. It does have the same 2.4V VDD supply which I assume is for the logic on the board. I guess that the firmware would be different between the RH910 and the RH10.

How does one get in touch with Jim Hoggarth?

Thanks

Mike M.

Did you buy the MZ-RH10 from that craiglist post? I noticed the seller doesn't have it for sale anymore.

Did you buy the MZ-RH10 from that craiglist post? I noticed the seller doesn't have it for sale anymore.

Yes, I did. He charged me a good bit more to ship it, and I have no idea what condition it will be in (if I get it at all), but it was worth the try.

I'll post a follow-up when I get it.

Mike M

I received my "craigslist" mz-m100 yesterday. Sadly, everything works except the display. This one is completely dead, not just dim. So now I have two that need repair

Jim Hoggarth did get back with me and told me that he does not have any replacement display boards for the RH10.

Oh well.

Yes, I checked the power supply voltages on then craigslist mz-m100 and they are also fine, 11.4V and 2.4V.

Just to be thorough, I swapped the switch board between the two. No changes, so the faults lie in the switch board.

The switch board is not a servicable part. There are two "chip on board" processors, I assume one for Comm and the other for the OLED. Jim confirmed that he's never been able to repair an OLED display board for these units.

I'm trying to decide how badly I want to get this fixed. Online prices for these units seem to have gone skyward. I'll keep my eyes open for another unit that has a good display and a bad mechanism.

I can confirm I no longer have any working RH10 OLED display boards in stock. Just fit the last one to a machine here in Blighty. Getting hold of replacments is now an almost impossible task. And I reckon the RH1 is going to go the same way. I have already seen two RH1 display units where one out of the two display sections have failed totally or is very dim.

Jim

Yes its display is dying too.I have a RH1 where the left sided display is dim.when powered on and showing the walkman logo you can also see a shiny battery which shouldn´t be displayed at that time.I would say that display is about 50% far from normal contrast.compared to the right side.

Iam glad i got 3 other Rh1´s that aren´t showing that signs of use.In Fact that faulty unit is by far the most used and oldest one..

• 4 years later...