Iphone 3gs - Addition to my Music

Rate this topic

Hudson

Well i never thought that the MP3 type player and downloads could compete with my MD units ..... until now !

I have just bought a used Iphone 3gs and although its a great phone come computer it appears to also a very good music player.

I have my CD's loaded onto my MD's in SP, and one cd to each md, so the SQ is very good indeed, i listen to them via a Sony MD909 and an MZ1 and through some very expensive £200 headphones so i think i can pick out all the various subtle changeds in tone and the slight inclusion of some of the instruments that you can not often hear with the more compressed formats or through cheaper headphones.

Well, as a test (since i have my Iphone anyways) i thought i would put one of my favourite cd's (Kate Bush - The Kick Inside) onto the Iphone and just see how it compared. Now i was not going to put it in MP3 as this would not be a fair test, so i loaded the cd into Itunes under the Apple Lossless format and even ticked the slower speed for when you think the cd's may have scratches on etc, i understand this gives maximum SQ.

Well i have done a back to back test (with my ears anyways) and i can honestly say that the sound coming from the Iphone is just as good as the same album on one of my Sony ES MD's in SP..... It is that good, i was amazed. If i were pushed i would even be as bold to say it was slightly better, with a tad more bass and a deeper sound (but i may be wrong). Overall though i am really impressed.

I will still keep MD because i just love it, and i want MD in my BMW (I already have the E46 MD53 unit which i will fit soon) but this simple test has really opened my eyes to what SQ you can get from other more easier to use machines.... or in this case phones !

I agree i think the PCM test would be fairer, but with the costs of those units going skywards it makes no sense really. I got my MD units and discs when prices were low, but recently they seem to have gone through the roof. But given its the quality of the music that counts, i am impressed with the various lossless formats that are out there, i guess i just discounted the the hard drive / digital / mp3 type machines, until now.