Sony MZ-E10, 10th anniversary MD player value?

Rate this topic

Ari33

Hi, I have a beautiful little Sony Mz-E10 MD player,10th anniversary model, inc earphones, accesories, to sell on eba,y but cant see any completed listings to roughly gauge the value so Im guessing it must be quite rare? It has the origonalbox and even original receipt

It is in excellent condition other than a faint thin black line of ink (from the printing?)that has run up the grain under the laquer (There since new- see pic). It has oo scratches Its been sitting at the back of my cupboard for years and has only ever been used about 4-5 times (8 hours absolute max) for a short lived jogging/fitness drive so the battery is still in superb condition.

More pics to follow.

Any ideas at what I should start the bidding at?

Thanks,

Ari

post-128769-0-77193000-1351503434_thumb.

post-128769-0-56954000-1351503466_thumb.

Hi Ari,

i ve bought mine from UK in the March of 2011, in perfect condition with box and all accessories (you can see it on my site) for about 80 Euros plus shipping.

I firmly believe that every now and then on ebay, two / three crazy men decide that an MD must be them. :crazy:

It 's a lucky for you, I hope that it is so also for your E10.

But I do not think you can exceed 100/120 €

Have a nice day

Sergio

• Like 1

I think Sergio is right, that sale ended up with a huge profit for the seller but this is not typical. I bought mine used about two years ago from a mate here on the boards and at the time I paid $180 USD. I had to immediately replace the battery as the 8 year old unit would only hold a charge for an hour or so. It actually still functions well today.

Very nice little player only unit, no doubt one of the coolest Sony made in my opinion.

Be honest about the battery when you list it, most serious buyers for this unit will know the details of the design and understand that the small, non-user replaceable LiON battery has a shelf life of around 5 or six years. May I also suggest that you try to get a few nicely lit focused photos of the unit? The aesthetics of this cool little machine will go a long way to stir up interest in buyers, that can't be appreciated with grainy, out of focus pictures ...

Let us know when you list it, I'd be interested in watching it to see what you fetch!

One other thought I had is that it seems like the market driven sales always do better and the idea is to sell the unit, too many greedy folks will list a unit such as this for Buy it now at $250 or something way too high and bidders don't want to immediately commit to that, start the bidding at zero or some low and reasonable value, no more than $50 and you'll see what the demand is. I see units all the time sell for a good and fair market driven price when listed this way. Other units listed with high BIN or high reserve prices will just come back up for sale again because no one bites ...

• Like 1

Hi Ari,

i ve bought mine from UK in the March of 2011, in perfect condition with box and all accessories (you can see it on my site) for about 80 Euros plus shipping.

I firmly believe that every now and then on ebay, two / three crazy men decide that an MD must be them. :crazy:

It 's a lucky for you, I hope that it is so also for your E10.

But I do not think you can exceed 100/120 €

Have a nice day

Sergio

Thanks Sergio, that sounds more realistic. Before seeing that listing I was thinking that if I got around £90 I'd be doing well.

I think Sergio is right, that sale ended up with a huge profit for the seller but this is not typical. I bought mine used about two years ago from a mate here on the boards and at the time I paid $180 USD. I had to immediately replace the battery as the 8 year old unit would only hold a charge for an hour or so. It actually still functions well today.

Very nice little player only unit, no doubt one of the coolest Sony made in my opinion.

Be honest about the battery when you list it, most serious buyers for this unit will know the details of the design and understand that the small, non-user replaceable LiON battery has a shelf life of around 5 or six years. May I also suggest that you try to get a few nicely lit focused photos of the unit? The aesthetics of this cool little machine will go a long way to stir up interest in buyers, that can't be appreciated with grainy, out of focus pictures ...

Let us know when you list it, I'd be interested in watching it to see what you fetch!

One other thought I had is that it seems like the market driven sales always do better and the idea is to sell the unit, too many greedy folks will list a unit such as this for Buy it now at $250 or something way too high and bidders don't want to immediately commit to that, start the bidding at zero or some low and reasonable value, no more than $50 and you'll see what the demand is. I see units all the time sell for a good and fair market driven price when listed this way. Other units listed with high BIN or high reserve prices will just come back up for sale again because no one bites ...

Thanks Azureal, I really apreciate the advice, thats very helpful. I know the photos are aweful, I'll try and find a better camera that can do decent macros.

I haven't actually tested the battery life but was thinking that it would be very good considering how little use its had but it sounds like its more of a battery ingredients shelf life factor rather than the number of cycles through it. Would a full charge and timed continuous play with 75% volume be an accurate/fair test?

I was thinking of starting the bidding at £60 plus postage on a 5 day listing. I'll post the Ebay link up so that you can see how I got on.

Regards,

Ari

I look forward to seeing how this works out for you. After my EH1s (Sony never put more love and care into a product, IMHO), the E10 is my fave unit. I bought one several months ago for about 80 pounds; it has dings but I can still get over 15 hours on a charge. Battery life is key for this sale (for me, at least). I don't think Sony Style in Toronto would know what to do with a fully discharged E10 battery...

Thanks Sergio, that sounds more realistic. Before seeing that listing I was thinking that if I got around £90 I'd be doing well.

Thanks Azureal, I really apreciate the advice, thats very helpful. I know the photos are aweful, I'll try and find a better camera that can do decent macros.

I haven't actually tested the battery life but was thinking that it would be very good considering how little use its had but it sounds like its more of a battery ingredients shelf life factor rather than the number of cycles through it. Would a full charge and timed continuous play with 75% volume be an accurate/fair test?

I was thinking of starting the bidding at £60 plus postage on a 5 day listing. I'll post the Ebay link up so that you can see how I got on.

Regards,

Ari

Ari,

Why on ebay?

Wait two days here, perhaps.......... someone ( not me )

have a nice day

Hey Ari,

I think your plan to test the battery sounds reasonable. Please do post your link once you list the unit, I hope you do well on the sale!

I've been testing the battery over the last day tallying up how many times the unit was able to play a 1hour 15 min compilation (SP1) , I decided that 85% Volume was more of a typical day to day level and by my calculations the battery life is at 74% at that volume level. I was hoping it would be better but I suppose its actually pretty good when you consider its age.

Listing to follow shortly. ;)

Ari,

I agree with your assessment, it is not unusual or surprising that the battery would be limited in that way. They great thing about the N10 is that you can bolt on a side car with a fresh AA battery and run for 30 hours!

Anyone seriously interested in this model is aware of the internal battery issues.

So, at SP you got about 74% of the estimated battery life of 29 hours (going by minidisc.org page on the E10)? So are we looking then at about 20-21 hours? If so, that's great!

No, the figure quoted on the Sony Instructions/Spec sheet (supplied with the player) for SP1 is listed as 23 hrs under JEITA test conditions.

Playback tested on my unit was timed at 17.3 hrs which is around 75% of the Sony figure... if... they also tested at as high as 85% volume. (Cant find any info)

10 Day listing now started...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110973648761

Thanks all.

:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ari33

think positive, often these auctions end in the last minute. (My experience when I lost the auction)

In any case, even if I sold at that price (that do not believe) is in the range of normality for that machine.

I looked at your listing now and in the future, do not use photos of others but directly takes photos of YOUR object in order to give greater security to the buyer.

GOOD LUCK

Sergio

Hi Ari33

think positive, often these auctions end in the last minute. (My experience when I lost the auction)

In any case, even if I sold at that price (that do not believe) is in the range of normality for that machine.

I looked at your listing now and in the future, do not use photos of others but directly takes photos of YOUR object in order to give greater security to the buyer.

GOOD LUCK

Sergio

Thanks Sergio, I used an original Sony image for the main listing picture because it stood out, the rest are actually my own photos but I'll keep that in mind. I would be happy with the current figure but if it goes for more it will certainly help out a poor student living on a tight budget. :)