MD Dream Features and Line Up

Rate this topic

zahne

If Sony approached you and said we're bringing back the minidisc (suspend disbelief or ignore this post) what should the line up be? What features are you looking for? What would be your ultimate MD unit or line of units? Can be a riff or an innovation on an existing one. And to make things a little creative, how about features that could be technologically possible.

If Sony approached you and said we're bringing back the minidisc (suspend disbelief or ignore this post) what should the line up be? What features are you looking for? What would be your ultimate MD unit or line of units? Can be a riff or an innovation on an existing one. And to make things a little creative, how about features that could be technologically possible.

My MD dream : a DCM-W1 deck, functionally equivalent to the MDS-W1, that would operate on MD DATA2 discs (the MD View discs used by the DCM-M1 camcorder).

For me it would be higher density Hi-MD discs. Ones that could a lot of storage but also could hold support H.264 video playback in HD.

More importantly, though, developing an MD deck designed for audio and other data archiving. That would be fantastic. HDD and flash memory both have their usage faults and can get really pricey. I've never had an issue with MDs and backing up audio. The quality isn't the same but when all the drives crash, I always have the MD version.

I would like it to be more an evolution than a revolution. It should at least keep the best of the MD platform (sound quality, disc format, long battery life, field recording ability, editing functions, standalone sound system (ie you basicaly don't need a computer)), so not a wifi-tablet-HomeCinema-MD ;)

So, here are my specs request (Sony, Sharp, Panasonic... please read this ;) ) :

Decks

• Hi-MD support, of course
  • For the rest I don't really know, I don't use them a lot (and plan to sell my Sony 520)

Portable devices

• Backward compatibility with SP/LP/HiMD
  • Hi quality electronics (not like on today's players)
  • Keeping long battery life (so no hungry touch color screen or wireless networking)
  • Keeping standalone editing functions
  • Easily replacable batteries (ok for AA/AAA size, so you can use the unit ages after the gumstick batteries ceases to exist on the face of the earth)
  • 4 or 8 GB discs
  • FLAC support (at least playback)
  • PCM recording up to 24bits/96KHz
  • keeping line-in optical-in mic-in ; line-out slots
  • optical-out
  • on-demand screen backlight (like on most remote controllers)
  • can stand falling on the floor without breaking
  • 2nd phone slot (like on Sony R-70)
  • (and speaking of R-70) quite silent motor
  • motor/manipulations noises removing algorithm while recording (can be set on/off)

Remote controller

• sturdier
  • "anti-knot" coated cable (like on some headphones like the Porta-pro by Koss)

Software

• Multi-platform (same UI & features on Windows, Linux, Mac)
  • Easier import/export/conversion
  • No transfer limit for audio recorded by the unit
  • [troll]No root-kit inside[/troll]

Accessories

• Converter to use the new MD unit with amps made to be used with iPods
  • Better stereo portable mics
  • Can use bluetooth or USB keyboards for names editing (if you don't have access to your computer (on holidays) of if some policies prevents you to install the MD software (at workplace)). Converter maybe included in a cradle, for instance (so you won't have a bluetooth signal sucking your batteries)

I think that an MZ-RH1 or MZ-NH900 (with a back-lit or OLED display) type of machine that would use the Blu-Ray technology would be pretty nice. You could have up to 4GB or 8GB or possibly more. That would mean over 5 hours of PCM recording on one disc. To run on AA batteries would be a major plus, too. It would never happen but there is nothing wrong with dreaming.

I'm not sure that the MD technology will work any more dense than what it does. As it is you're (heating and) inverting zones of metal oxide at a pretty fine separation. I agree that BluRay obviously is using much smaller physical areas per bit. However that is with a different technology. There's no equivalent to MD in the world of CD/CDR/DVD/Bluray, I think.

I'm not sure what the mini-DVD camcorders do (is it even rewriteable???) - but I'm pretty sure it's not the same as MD-MO.

• 3 weeks later...