Best MD Unit to buy with Optical in and takes AA HI-MD

Rate this topic

oroville

• 6 months later...

This is actually a question I have as well. I have a MZ-N510 and I love the fact that it runs off a battery rather than internal rechargeable. I'm looking to go the HI-MD route and one of the things I'm looking for is a non-piggy back battery option. Would the MZ-NH700 be the best option that matches this?

Yea. I recently ressurected my old NetMD unit, I was able to put in a battery and listen to my music collection from like 6 years ago. No charging or dealing with lost cables or anything like that. I just put in a battery, mindisc and was on my way. I'm looking for an update to this idea, hence the HiMD with a battery. Looking for something that will be able to stand the test of time a bit.

Can you drag MP3's to this device or is that a feature reserved for the MZ-RH1?

Yes, provided u understand that SonicStage will have to convert them. In a way you are right, the DIRECT playback of MP3s only really works right with the RH1. The second gen machines (RH10 and so on) don't do a very good job of playing MP3 directly.

Yea. I recently ressurected my old NetMD unit, I was able to put in a battery and listen to my music collection from like 6 years ago. No charging or dealing with lost cables or anything like that. I just put in a battery, mindisc and was on my way. I'm looking for an update to this idea, hence the HiMD with a battery. Looking for something that will be able to stand the test of time a bit.

Suppose in that instance, its a good job I've got the N510 as a back up.

of course you can directly drop mp3 files onto 2nd gen himd portables.All you have to do is to change the import settings to "as is" and you´re off.

as for the sound quality i cannot say that much because i am used to listen to atrac more than mp3.

i would recommend the NH600 for that purpose. I just got my 3rd and hacked all stuff you can get in the service menu.

;)

Suppose in that instance, its a good job I've got the N510 as a back up.

You can do worse than the N510/520. It is a superb unit, although a bit bulky due to the battery compartment. The N710 is basically the same machine with a gumstick and metal front, although it has a shorter life due to limitations in the design of the control buttons and lower casing (plastic parts cracking).

I tend to prefer MD80 discs for long-term listening, as it seems more satisfying to replace the disc at the end of an album, somewhat like changing vinyl. Hi-MD smacks too much of MP3s - half your music collection on one disc? For me, stuff gets lost in the crowd. Much better to make a conscious choice about which artist/recording to play next. When you have too much to chose from, there is a possibility of 'surfing' tracks, just like when you have a proliferation of TV channels. Another analogy is like a kid in a candy shop - just can't make their mind up.

Consequently I don't use Hi-MD for general use, much preferring the N510 as already said. Sony sold *lots* of these, and they are still one of the most common models to appear on sales listings. And because they are so reliable, and easily repaired, I can confidently say this:

When almost every Hi-MD recorder has seen its day and been scrapped, I will still have a large stock of parts for the N510 etc and will hopefully still be refurbishing them for years to come yet!

Jim

(And I can seen the supply of MD80 discs outlasting the 1GBs too!)

You can do worse than the N510/520. It is a superb unit, although a bit bulky due to the battery compartment. The N710 is basically the same machine with a gumstick and metal front, although it has a shorter life due to limitations in the design of the control buttons and lower casing (plastic parts cracking).

Indeed, and I do love it, I have no intention to get rid of it at all. The N710 I am using at the moment more because as you also mentioned, the battery compartment on the 510 is on the bulky side and i just find that this makes it a bit harder to carry in pockets and stuff, if I'm wearing a hoody or something, yeah, no problem there.

When you have too much to chose from, there is a possibility of 'surfing' tracks, just like when you have a proliferation of TV channels. Another analogy is like a kid in a candy shop - just can't make their mind up.

This is the reason I went back to MD in the first place, as I think I said elsewhere too. On the computer I just skip tracks all the time. Ever since I've had the 510 and the JE440, I've not done it at all.