Denon system error codes

Rate this topic

stuartap

Hi, I much admired the minidisc format when it first came out, we used it in our radio station, I put some of my on-air work on MD for archiving.
Fast forward 15+ years... I've acquired a Denon DN-1100R in non-working condition and hoping to get it running so I can copy my archived stuff to another format.
Does anyone know where to find out what the Denon SYSTEM ERROR codes mean? These are the codes that show as "Error xx" - in my case I get Error 51 and Error 95 at different times. Otherwise the unit is pretty much unresponsive.
I have a service manual, it helpfully (not!) shows all the editing and similar error codes but nothing about the system errors. And the owner's manual, what a laugh! System error codes might mean "there is a problem in the unit, and the unit will not function"!
So, not in the operation manual, not in the service manual, why do they keep these error codes secret?
Any advice gratefully received…!
I do have some experience repairing audio equipment, and have tried running diagnostics in the test mode (detailed in the service manual) but get stuck each time at the system error.
Regards, Stuart

Can you find a way of sharing the service manual? We can probably upload it for all. There's a couple of people here who may have enough familiarity with MD service manuals to help you figure it out.

Simple question: does this error (or errors) only occur when you put in a disk?

How many disks do you have? If not too many, someone down there may be willing to do the job for you. What you undoubtedly need is a Sony MZ-RH1, the only unit which will allow you to upload those precious recordings at high speed using USB. The Denon, although nice, will only let you do it all at x1 even when you do get it working. The RH1 uploads at about x10.

Welcome to the forums!