MZ-N910 Please Help

Rate this topic

Hello everyone I've just joined this forum as you all seem very knowledgeable.

I recently got my mindisc players down from the attic with a view to selling them but changed my mind after rediscovering how good the sound quality was over my MP3 players.

Anyway I managed to get Sonic Stage back working then got the PC to see my player and happily made a couple of discs, but yesterday when I went to do more the player wouldnt even recognize the usb lead was being pluged into it. I've tried about 6 different leads but no joy.

Please help as I want to put my new music on some discs.

Good start.

As I sort of suspected, what you need is the 64-bit driver for NetMD.

The only possible problem is that getting rid of the 32-bit drivers may be necessary. However if you have only one unit, most of them won't have been installed (although present on hard disk) so it may be as simple as making a driver update. Note that inevitably you will get a signing error, (STOP: this driver blah blah.....) which may be ignored quite safely.

You can find it as the top-rated download in our downloads section:

Let us know how you get on

Kind regards

Thanks very much for helping me but I've got weird results.

The other day I brought a Sony MDS-JE780 thinking that if I couldnt get my MZ-N910 to work I'd use this to put music on my minidiscs, anyway after much farting about and downloading this would only 'speak' to my XP laptop and sonic stage worked fine. Well after sftp's advice this morning I downloaded the 64-bit driver for NetMD in his link which worked great for the MDS-JE780 which I can now use with my windows 7 pc where all my music is :good: .

Only thing now is that didnt work with my lovely N910. I dont think it's a driver problem, I think there is something wrong with the player itself like the the usb socket has become unresponsive which is really annoying because there's no reason for it as I really look after my gadgets.

If you've two computers and two versions of windows and both will support the 780 and both refuse to recognize the 910 then, indeed, you have your answer. Better talk to our resident expert Jim, who will probably be able to repair it.

One small detail though: the 910's USB transfer function will not work unless the device is powered (preferably by mains but perhaps a battery may do - and the performance of your battery contacts is the problem). I would suggest getting the mains adapter out and plugging it into that before you do anything else.

Agreed - eliminate the obvious or easily checked possibles first. If the unit plays ok with the power adapter plugged in and no battery installed, and still fails to recognise the USB connection (ie does not show 'PC/MD' in the display), it is most probably the USB port at fault. And do check more than one USB cable if you have them. I have seen a number of cases where solder joints on the USB socket have failed, and also some instances of the USB interface on the main board processor refusing to recognise a valid USB connection.

Jim

Did that, now the "PC-MD" shows up (which it wasnt before) but it's flashing on and off and Sonic Stage dont see it.

Still sounds like a bad solder connection on the USB socket to me. But then I always blame the hardware, Stephen always the soft/firmware.

Jim

Here's something of interest. I am literally now undertaking a repair on an MZ-N920, so I have the spares box out for the N10/N910/N920 models. And in there is one N910 main board labelled as 'Faulty - no USB comms.' So it could be a common problem with this model. I have checked the joints previously, I assume, as they appear to be fine.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I think this must be the problem Jim as I've just brought another 910 off ebay and it connected no problem.

Funny that it should just decide to happen with no reason, I really look after my gadgets.

While I was in a buying mood I also got a lovely Panasonic SJ-MJ50 off ebay.

I think this must be the problem Jim as I've just brought another 910 off ebay and it connected no problem.

Funny that it should just decide to happen with no reason, I really look after my gadgets.

While I was in a buying mood I also got a lovely Panasonic SJ-MJ50 off ebay.

That will be the SJ-MJ50 I was wanting then...

Jim