How do you want the next Walkman to be like?

Rate this question

lindijones

Question

Hei Guys!!

It is so calm about Sonys Walkman news so lets heat it a little!

What to you wish for the next Models?

Tell some feature which are a "must".

Try to be realistic!!

Tom

P.S.: For me a Player with a Lot of Flash should be the right thing. I dont need that much space and i dont want to wait anymore for this harddisc wakeup every access....

Maybe a 16 GB flash in an A1200 housing?

19 answers to this question

- Mac OS-X compatibility.

- Smaller.

- Faster.

- Bigger capacity (20gb simply isn't enough).

- Better battery life.

- Lighter.

- Decent support for compilation albums.

- "Play the next album when I've finished this one" mode.

- Decent selection of accessories (speaker system with wireless remote, car kits, inline remotes, bluetooth earphones, that sort of thing).

- Did I mention I want to use it with Mac OS-X?

- Smaller.

- Faster.

- Bigger capacity (20gb simply isn't enough).

- Better battery life.

- Lighter.

- Decent support for compilation albums.

- Decent selection of accessories (speaker system with wireless remote, car kits, inline remotes, bluetooth earphones, that sort of thing).

- Did I mention I want to use it with Mac OS-X?

for some reason they have taken away the group play function which i loved the most with my old destroyed MS90D....

yet just y would u wana use OS-X on a mp3/mp4 player which shouldnt even have a qwerty keyboard?

and if it does run OS-X for the sake of just running it, just the CPU itself would be larger the screen i suppose.

SO yea all i want is to get the group play function back for all models if possible, btw if the latest one would be a HDD player, i'd love to see a remote controller coming with a screen, coz u know the shitty a-model remote doesnt have a screen display

Edited by !Sora~

You can do this by pressing option and the choosing play from the menu that pop's up when you are at the album level within a group.

SO yea all i want is to get the group play function back for all models if possible

Similar to the one above I suppose... just press play wherever you want to start playing, and it will continue playing all the stuff at that particular level. Play mode has to be set to Normal as far as I know

Mac support would be a great idea!

You can do this by pressing option and the choosing play from the menu that pop's up when you are at the album level within a group.

Similar to the one above I suppose... just press play wherever you want to start playing, and it will continue playing all the stuff at that particular level. Play mode has to be set to Normal as far as I know

Mac support would be a great idea!

well wt i meant was when i had my MS90D i was able to arrange any songs into any groups i want and as 1 group is played the other group follows up without me having to press any buttons,

now with the A3000 model the only option i can find to play all songs is the "ALL SONGS" option and it only plays the entire database in alphabetical order which i dont like it at all, maybe just me not playing with it carefully enough, if there is an option of "ALL SONGS" sorting accroding to artists i would love to know how :D

60GB at least (bigger will be good)

Simple Burner compatible (The MD program that transfer direct from the CD to the unit)

Album Shuffle (play the entire album and then shuffle to another ramdomly)

Wheel like the Ipod or a menu that you can move easy

IF plays Video that have chapters (IPOD VIDEO can´t do that for what i heard)

Here's what I'd like to see:

- larger disc, ~60GB

- support for a lossless format that is gapless. Would settle for ATRAC lossless, but FLAC would be nice :-).

- a playlist that can be updated in real-time while the player is playing. While an album is playing, I'd like to be able to select another album (or track) to play next, etc. The CD analogy would be being able to load up additional discs in my changer while a disc is playing. It would be a "now playing" queue.

I would be in hog heaven with a Sony DAP like this!

actually i want small flash ones like the A-600 and E-500 series. But size of A1000 is ok to me too

i dont mind not coloured screens but i do want to see the OLED in daylight and i want FM and i want voice recording and i want to delete music without connecting to SS and i want faster speed on SS at least...and i want....... :D

-Gapless

-Unicode display

-24h battery life per charge, minimal battery drain during stand-by

-flash based

-Instant on and playback

-At least 20GB

-compatible with iTunes and capable of live updating the smart playlists

-No half-way support of codecs. If it support x format, it MUST be able to play ANY x format files encoded with ANY x format encoders. If it supports OGG, then it must play OGG gaplessly. Same thing apply for video codecs if it supports video.

-pure UMS device

-metal casing (magnesium/aluminum)

-standard USb jack on unit

-True line-out

-able to un-lock volume control seperate from other controls-If there's a remote, it has to be unicode compatible

-If color screen, must be able to display album arts in good resolution

-tactile buttons, with dedicated volume control

-If video capable, screen must be wide-screen and high-res.

IF plays Video that have chapters (IPOD VIDEO can´t do that for what i heard)

And other DAPs can't either. At least with the 5G iPod, you can fast forward/rewind REALLY FAST with the click wheel. Besides, there is no standard chapters formatting in DIvx/Xvid/MP4. The only encoder that support chapter placement that I know is Nero Digital, and that doesn't always work either.

well wt i meant was when i had my MS90D i was able to arrange any songs into any groups i want and as 1 group is played the other group follows up without me having to press any buttons,

now with the A3000 model the only option i can find to play all songs is the "ALL SONGS" option and it only plays the entire database in alphabetical order which i dont like it at all, maybe just me not playing with it carefully enough, if there is an option of "ALL SONGS" sorting accroding to artists i would love to know how :D

HIi!

The Problem is that the new players (HD5 and A1000 etc) cannot "see" the groups anymore!

They only "see" the ID3-Tag in the files.

So you have to arrange now in Albums in the ID3-Tags or you have to use Playlists....

But if i listen an Albums and it is finished it will get to the next album in alphabetical order...

bye tom

An LCD screen that you can see in daylight, coloured if possible (colours actually do help usability somewhat, the OLED is stylish but its getting old now and the daylight thing is a real problem).

Faster menus. Normal USB jack. USB HOST to connect a digital camera to use the player as a photo storage device (come on sony, get on the ball, you make cameras too ffs).

Not fussed about video, would never even consider to use a device like that for video.

Oh and finally: Software that wasn't written by a two year old.

Edit:

Hhmm damn im in rant mode now. Some decent physical control to scroll a list i.e a jog dial (thats like a mouse' scroll wheel). And change the hold button back to the switch thing like it was on the MD players.

Edited by Pulse

HIi!

The Problem is that the new players (HD5 and A1000 etc) cannot "see" the groups anymore!

They only "see" the ID3-Tag in the files.

So you have to arrange now in Albums in the ID3-Tags or you have to use Playlists....

But if i listen an Albums and it is finished it will get to the next album in alphabetical order...

bye tom

well tough luck doesnt happen to my a3000..... i tried with repeat all and normal play mode, when it finishes the last song of the album it just stops and stays there and evetually turns off automatically....... is there special setting u must follow to activate such thing?

A new HDD NETWORK (We MD users are equal Walkman owners. lol) Walkman is a weighty undertaking that requires considerations beyond color and, sadly, even riding the coattails of the video wave. Sony is not just below first place, but it also has drastically fallen short in the race for second place, currently held by Creative.

- A color LCD screen is a necessity; OLED looks downright archaic. Plus, the style factor soars to new heights with image viewing.

- Linear PCM Recording is no draw, as this would essentially court a niche audience in much the same way Hi-MD does. Hi-MD, as you may know by now, was no mainstream success and is now available only on Sony's professional audio site in the U.S. Limited voice recording is all that is necessary; it's perfect for catching a few class lectures here and there.

- Sony must allow for video playback. This is the arena in which digital downloads are rapidly expanding. It is the latest advance in download service use, and people would appreciate the option itself.

- Sony must use a jog dial. It's more convenient and decreases the likelihood of fat-fingering.

- Sony MUST provide more than 20 gigabytes of space, given that it presumes to court the MP3-using base now. People will need more capacious players.

- Sony MUST make a smaller, lighter, less awkwardly shaped player. It should preferably be smaller than the HD5, actually. It should also have an all-metalic case.

- Sony MUST provide variety in the look of its players as a draw against the Ipod, which is extroardinarily formulaic.

- Sony MUST provide an AM/FM Tuner. This would be vastly appreciated and would distinguish the device from Ipod very clearly.

- A low-quality camera function may not be a bad idea.

- The return of the replaceable battery is a must.

- The player must be released and marketed en masse.

- Sony should actually offer flash-based and hard-drive models.

- Drag and drop and the ability to work without Sonic Stage ought to be adopted asap.

- Digital Amplifier

- Line-out

- A hold function that actually prevents battery drainage.

- A charging cradle would actually be nice

- A complement to MD Simple Burner would actually be fascinating, but would require that Sony lift its DRM restrictions enough for direct transfer between devices or, at least, from a device to the computer. No one wants to be wedded to the same unit forever.

- The player ought to come PACKAGED with the RM-MC40ELK remote for added usability and otherworldly convenience.

Edited by himd_anxiety

A new HDD NETWORK (We MD users are equal Walkman owners. lol) Walkman is a weighty undertaking that requires considerations beyond color and, sadly, even riding the coattails of the video wave. Sony is not just below first place, but it also has drastically fallen short in the race for second place, currently held by Creative.

- A color LCD screen is a necessity; OLED looks downright archaic. Plus, the style factor soars to new heights with image viewing.

- Linear PCM Recording is no draw, as this would essentially court a niche audience in much the same way Hi-MD does. Hi-MD, as you may know by now, was no mainstream success and is now available only on Sony's professional audio site in the U.S. Limited voice recording is all that is necessary; it's perfect for catching a few class lectures here and there.

- Sony must allow for video playback. This is the arena in which digital downloads are rapidly expanding. It is the latest advance in download service use, and people would appreciate the option itself.

- Sony must use a jog dial. It's more convenient and decreases the likelihood of fat-fingering.

- Sony MUST provide more than 20 gigabytes of space, given that it presumes to court the MP3-using base now. People will need more capacious players.

- Sony MUST make a smaller, lighter, less awkwardly shaped player. It should preferably be smaller than the HD5, actually. It should also have an all-metalic case.

- Sony MUST provide variety in the look of its players as a draw against the Ipod, which is extroardinarily formulaic.

- Sony MUST provide an AM/FM Tuner. This would be vastly appreciated and would distinguish the device from Ipod very clearly.

- A low-quality camera function may not be a bad idea.

- The return of the replaceable battery is a must.

- The player must be released and marketed en masse.

- Sony should actually offer flash-based and hard-drive models.

- Drag and drop and the ability to work without Sonic Stage ought to be adopted asap.

- Digital Amplifier

- Line-out

- A hold function that actually prevents battery drainage.

- A charging cradle would actually be nice

- A complement to MD Simple Burner would actually be fascinating, but would require that Sony lift its DRM restrictions enough for direct transfer between devices or, at least, from a device to the computer. No one wants to be wedded to the same unit forever.

- The player ought to come PACKAGED with the RM-MC40ELK remote for added usability and otherworldly convenience.

These are basically my wants too. I'd also say Wi-Fi, being able to download songs without the PC.

Basically, I just want Sony to copy the Gigabeat S, and put it in a different body style, with similair dimensions. (Bring back the Vaio Pocket's grid)

30GB, 40GB, and 60GB will do, there isn't much to improve on besides the capacity to me.

Of course, a large capacity without foregoing high portability!

Video function will be great, and it's the trend now. However, to some it may not be very useful, but it's fun, unless there's a battery as good as the one in the PSP.

Edited by lxrichbirdxl