New here, but not to Minidisc.

Rate this topic

SileEeles

Well, the N710 got here today and WOW. Such an awesome looking thing. One of the things that bugs me about the N510 is the battery compartment being raised out from the body so this is very nice, especially with its stand.

It came with some 80 minute gold premiums and one red one was already in the player without a case for it, which bugs me, it likely won't get used for much, if only a disc I take out and about.

tumblr_mqcbyjB47E1qfil6po1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqcbyjB47E1qfil6po2_250.jpgtumblr_mqcbyjB47E1qfil6po3_250.jpg

It also came with the in-line remote as well as the stand and SonicStage CD, but no charger (which is fine, I have one already) and no USB cable (which I also have multiples of since its a common cable).

Also pictured are the 60 minute discs I grabbed from eBay.

So yeah, £40 well spent I think.

Just caught up with this thread. That was my first MD player! It's buried in the attic somewhere. I'm going to have to find it now!

And you mentioned phones earlier. Look what I came across the other day. Charged it up, popped in my micro-SIM (in an adapter), works perfectly.

IMG_20130731_182135_zps7cb87965.jpg

The classic Nokia 6310i. Battery life can be measured in weeks!

Just caught up with this thread. That was my first MD player! It's buried in the attic somewhere. I'm going to have to find it now!

And you mentioned phones earlier. Look what I came across the other day. Charged it up, popped in my micro-SIM (in an adapter), works perfectly.

The classic Nokia 6310i. Battery life can be measured in weeks!

Yeah, they don't make 'em like they used to. I have my first ever camera phone, T610 which I think I said previously, and a Sagem MW3020, which I bought again because there was game on it I used to love.

Can one have a mid-life crisis at 25? hahahaha

I think for me its more of a sense of nostalgia. Getting back the stuff that I used to love, but maybe didn't appreciate that much at the time. Thankfully that's where places like eBay come to the rescue. First it was the Mega Drive, and now its MiniDisc, although I seem to be stuck on this one. Which I'm not complaining about, and I'm glad about. I'm not a picky person when it comes to formats and their quality (to a point), I just like listening to my music, and I like doing it this way.

It's kind of amusing that my love of older technology refuses to go into computer territory. I don't think I could cope back on a single core machine these days hahhaha. I am curious about MD Data though. It keeps cropping up, first when I read about it, and then on eBay I've spotted a few MD Data discs for sale.

Ah, didn't realise you were a young 'un ;)

Well I had a dig around last night and found some more Hi-MD discs, my old MZ-N710 and my old NW-HD3.

The MD has the stand/cables etc but the add on battery holder is missing and it appears the rechargeable battery is dead :( I left it on charge on the stand all last night and nothing. HD3 seems to work OK though.

My N710 didn't come with the battery holder thing, which I'm not bothered about, the Gumstick battery holds plenty of charge and I have a spare one I bought on eBay, many people are still selling them. Probably helps to have the extra batteries during recording but I leave mine on the stand whilst that happens, so I don't need batteries.

They are also cheap (the Gumstick batteries) enough to buy, I paid like £3-ish with free delivery for my spare one.

• 4 weeks later...

If you read the first post of this thread I mentioned that the very first unit I owned back in 2003/2004 was a Sharp MD-MT80.

Thanks to Jim, I now own one again :D

20130830_115007_zps500f3f0d.jpg

It sounds brilliant. Gives a much better sound than either of my NetMD devices do (MZ-N510/MZ-N710) and that's with the same headphones on any of them.

Plays all of my discs fine, other than MDLP ones since it doesn't support them, but I did notice the the display has LP2 and LP4 on it

20130830_115017_zps9860508b.jpg

So perhaps it is just a generic display that they use multiple devices, I'm not familiar with other Sharp units so I wouldn't know for sure.

I also received an optical cable today so I might get some recordings done with that.

It records fine, but doesn't play nice with Maxell discs. Such is life I guess, I managed to escape problems with them up until this point, but I won't stop using them, that's for sure. Both NetMD units work with them as does my deck. The Sharp just gives you Er-MD41 and then a blank disc when it tries to write TOC but other discs work perfectly, and I didn't plan on using it much for recording anyway, so its no loss to me.

I have acquired a few things in recent days from eBay, so I thought I would update those here :)

First one was ANOTHER Sharp MD-MT80 that I bid on ages ago and forgot about, getting one from Jim in the meantime, and then I won that auction. It is in an acceptable condition, a few marks here and there, but still works perfectly. It also came with a bunch of discs. Now I have more TDK MD-RXG's than I know what to do with. They don't have cases though unfortunately:

12MD-RXGs_zps917b88e4.jpg

Also from the same auction came this:

SonyES_zps3f988523.jpg

Which again, has no case, but it does look fancy. Another item I purchased was a MiniDisc stand. Houses 30 discs but there is actually room for a few more at the top

MDStand_zpsb924150b.jpg

With that stand came a few generic Sony discs, and one that immediately grabbed my attention:

MusicJack_zps756dc937.jpg

which has been used as a home to Marilyn Manson since it was something I kept meaning to burn.

That about covers it I guess.

if you like the MD-MT80 you should try get hold of the MD-MT88, looks the same but with LP modes( or the similar MD-MT99

). When Sharp made these cheap md they did a really good job? nice solid feel to them, practically all metal, last for ages - mine still going srong , looks a bit tatty but works fine. When I Bought mine Argos was doing a clear out so got 3 thinking that if each lasts 3 years then I am ok for as long as I would prob need them. The other 2 are still in their boxes un used apart from testing. must be about 6 years now or more.

I've been using it non-stop because it just sounds so much better than the two NetMD Sony ones I have. It's lack of LP honestly doesn't bother me at this point. I used to do LP2 initially because my collection of discs was small and I could fit more on that way, but since then I've got more discs than I know what to do with, so all my albums are now SP, either via NetMD or Optical.

And I'm fairly certain my one originally came from Argos too, the box has what looks suspiciously like a catalog number on it.