What is a top notch remote with backlight?

Rate this topic

Happy Hopping

I bought the RM-mc40ELK from 1 of the member here a few yr. ago. The Vol. Up button is no longer working. Further, pressing some button doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

I have the very same problem w/ another sony remote, a rm-mc32el, it's like all the buttons were re-assigned.

Lately, there is also some static noise on both remote.

Now, both remote works w/ my Sony CD player and my Sony Hi MD player. I have a MZ-NH1, so I'm thinking any of the latest remote from Sony, should work on my NH1. What's a top notch remote w/ many lines of display, among other fancy feature?

I bought the RM-mc40ELK from 1 of the member here a few yr. ago. The Vol. Up button is no longer working.

A common fault with this remote. The physical switch becomes separated from the circuit board, and there's nothing you can do about it. Resoldering is only possible if you can remove the LCD display from the board first !!! A task even I don't want to try - yet.

Jim

I don't know about the rm-mc38el, but my rm-mc32el is totally screw. The fast forward button become like volume up, the the stop button become something like, every button becomes another function. And I almost never use it. I only use the RM-mc40ELK

===============

Jim, my 1st RM-Mc40ELK has no problem, the only reason I have to buy 1 used from 1 of the members, is because my rabbit chew thru the wire of my 1st remote.

The MC33/33/38 all suffer from the same lousy switch design. It is a constant problem with these types of switches that slide rather than push, indeed in certain cases even the push-to-make switches can suffer despite being, usually, sealed to the outside environment. The contacts become tarnished and resistive. That is, the contacts no longer act as a pure short of zero ohms, but present a random resistance across them. As the way each switch is distinguished is to switch in a different resistance across the keyboard sense line (which is an analogue rather than digital input), the switch functions are incorrectly read by the sampling ADC of the recorder unit's main processor.

The switches can be cleaned but it a devilishly difficult process.

On the other hand, the MC11/12 type remotes use a rotary control on the end, where the switch contacts are physically larger, wipe across a slightly longer distance, and seem to be immune to this problem for longer. But eventually even these remotes can cause problems. However, the contacts within these remote sticks are so much easier to clean.

Jim

PS - please also see my latest comments on the MZ-RH1

Alright, in the past few days, I am still having bad connection from my 40ELK to my sony MDR-v900. I have used my headphone to my bookshelf speaker, it works fine. So it is definitely the remote. If noone else have any suggestion, I have no choice but to buy another new remote. As I don't believe it is a dust or dirt problem. I have use air spray, I'll use pipe cleaner cotton 1 more time to rotate the inside of that hole, but I'm not optimistic. So:

Is there a better 3 line display than the sony RM-mc40ELK? In other words, is this remote still the best 3 line display? Do they have something like a 4 line or 5 line display?

Also, is there a website that list all the sony recent years mini disc player and recorder models?

Is there a better 3 line display than the sony RM-mc40ELK? In other words, is this remote still the best 3 line display? Do they have something like a 4 line or 5 line display?

No! It's the unique remote with 3 lines ;)

Also, is there a website that list all the sony recent years mini disc player and recorder models?

go to http://minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html ;)