Sony MZ-S1 & Sonic Stage Ultimate 4.3 2 System Crash on Transfer

Rate this topic

mattarios

Ok so I have a MZ-S1 and windows 7 32 bit running sonic stage ultimate 4.3 v2. All I want to be able to do is convert my music to lp2 or lp4 and transfer to the md.

Everything else seems fine, program installed, I can navigate and use the program with no issues, It also lets me delete music from my md. But when I try to transfer, whether it be a straight SP transfer or a convert then transfer, once it starts transferring the computer crashes gives me the blue screen with the ircq is less than or equal or whatever that code is.

Any help? The one thing I want to do, I can't do.

I wasn't sure if these belonged in this section or the technical section. I also searched high and low on the web and there didn't seem to be much info on this specific issue with this specific hardware.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Hello and welcome.

There's no such thing as a straight SP transfer. So probably your issue is conversion. W7 doesnt like different users getting at other users' data.

I suspect the default is for SS to put ur data into your user private area. So the solution may be to create a new place for temporary (ie converted) files and make sure the permissions are such that all users can access it.

Alternatively it may be as simple as starting the program from a user with elevated privilege ie an administrator.

SS has configurations under tools-> options. You will need to create the temporary directory before pointing SS there, I think.

Good luck. Please let us know what the problem turned out to be.

I tried running it as an administrator and it seems to be transfering and not crashing, at least for now, we will see. If that is it then I LOVE YOU!

Another question, it is taking like 8 minutes to transfer 1, 3 minute song. It converts almost instantly then just sits at 95% complete for a really long time. Is there an update I need or something to speed up the transfer or is that how long it takes? My MD keeps blinking saving, saving, saving while it tries to transfer.

It is plugged into a usb 3.0 port on my computer.

Thank you so much for the help so far!

lol it crashed after 2 songs this time instead of one song.

let me try your other suggestions

So it seems a mixture of doing the following:

-downloading and installing the ultimate version was a good start as I had way more issues with the other cd I had with the software on it

-running the program as an admin

-saving the files to a folder on the desktop instead of the default SS used, and setting it to auto delete the converted files after transfer finished.

as for the slow transfer, it was a bad disc, popped in a new one and it works wonderfully, transfers songs in a matter of seconds.

So for now I think it's good, I have transferred about 40 songs with no reboot.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Glad you got it working. Had to wonder if you needed the updated driver (see the downloads section) which takes the more recent driver and allows all units to use it for install. Not the 64-bit version, the 32-bit version.

Still, I would move files from anywhere under your user tree, and put them in their own directory.

• 5 weeks later...

having issues again. I have options set for all converted files etc to save on the desktop in a folder instead of where sonicstage defaults. I tried uninstalling and removing all drivers then installing the driver from the forum for netmd 32 bit, no dice, I still get the irql not less than or equal whatever blue screen randomly while I either send music to the MD or delete music from an MD.

Other things I can try?

Thanks guys for the help!

John

UGGHHH well before I can try that, now everytime I restart my computer it seems as though windows forgets what drivers it was using for my mz-s1. Whenever I reboot or shutdown and turn back on its a big game with the drivers. Used to turn on and off fine and windows always recognized it fine.

I did do those 2 registry tweaks in the environmental variables settings because I thought it would work but then I realized it was for a different model. Would that have any effect on this?

I tried using the drivers from the forum and I still get the yellow caution symbol next to netmd in the device manager.

If I uninstall and then try to use windows update it does the same thing, before it used to search windows update and find the netmd driver perfectly, now it won't. Any help with that?

I found another thread and it said to remove all .inf files that consist of sony or netmd in the file. I did that, I uninstalled the exclamation point netmd in device manager, and all sony stuff under usb etc with hidden devices enabled. I reboot and try to install and it won't install now. Normally windows would search and find a driver and it would work fine, now windows keeps saying it can't find a driver. WHAT THE HECK GIVES?!?!

Good. U r on the right track.

Now go to our downloads and get the all-in-one 32 bit driver.

Remember that when you REMOVE drivers is the time to reboot.

Turn off windows update to avoid some of these problems. That way u can control when doing updates and backtrack via system restore if something bad happens.

Note that system restore may affect your authorizations, but I think in your case it may not matter.

I followed your instructions. All inf's deleted that contained sony and netmd, all devices in device manager removed. Downloaded the 32 bit all windows driver. Extracted to desktop, disabled windows updates, rebooted, went to device manger, plugged in the md player. Windows detected net md walkman with a yellow exclamation point. I chose update drivers and browsed to the folder I extracted from the file on the forum. It did it's thing, asked me if I was sure I wanted to install it since it wasn't authorized or whatever by windows, I accepted, then it said it installed but with errors and it switched from net md walkman to unknown device with a yellow exclamation point.

Right click "Computer" and see "Properties"

Are you certain you have 32-bit Windows?

Or were you merely running the 32-bit compatibility box inside 64-bit Windows 7? That would explain most of what we have seen, the repeated disconnections, for example.

You don't need to run the XP subsystem to get this software working. All you actually need is the 64-bit driver. You will have to reinstall Sonic Stage from the beginning, in the "native" 64-bit Windows desktop.

Apologies if I am way off base, I am not meaning to impugn your technical competence.

Stephen

BTW saving things to "desktop" is a REALLY BAD IDEA. You need to make a temporary place for such things. Like C:temp for example.

Not really. This stuff works. I assume that the driver with the yellow mark is pointing at NETMD052.SYS. If it isn't (you'll need to drill down into the device manager to check), then you must have done something wrong. Something very basic. Panic not, we've all been there, done that.

Try completely deinstalling SonicStage. Reboot.

Plug in your MD device. Make sure it has a formatted non-blank LP2 disk for now, with the door closed.

Install my wonder-driver (actually all it is, is the RH1 32-bit driver with a config file to make it install for every machine).

Now create a system restore point.

Install Sonic Stage from our downloads section (I have no idea if that's what you did but it seems your complaint was with the behaviour of the device, not with SS itself - nonetheless use the version that is posted here please).

Unplug your device.

Reboot

Now see if that doesn't work.

This sounds long and complex but it really isn't.

Some issues to think about:

1. Have you turned off UAC and/or made sure that SS runs with administrative privileges?

2. Have you turned off DEP for anything (except DEP for system software ie Windows, that's ok)?

3. Have you found the oem.inf files in the windowsinf subdirectory? I assume so, but a simple search may not accomplish what you want. I don't really follow your description too well, but you should NOT remove any files that do not appear to relate to Sony and NetMD specifically.

Good luck!

As I was going through the steps, when I choose to install the unknown device with the drivers from this forum, it fails, I downloaded the 32 bit driver for all versions of windows, that is the right one yes?

Also I only removed inf files that had sony or netmd located in them

uac is off

haven't touched anything to do with dep

The md used to install fine on this machine with this OS (windows 7 32 bit) then when I plugged it in one day it didn't recognize it anymore and from that point on it won't work or take any drivers.

Should I check to see if windows has done any updates and if it has do a system restore?

I think your best course is to buy a cheap unit (doesn't have to be another S1) and see if it works.

Sounds like, if it worked and does no more, that perhaps your hardware failed.

The theory about "Windows Update ate my MD" is quite tenable, but the best way out of it is:

a. disable WU

b. deinstall and reinstall SS.

I think you should figure out if you have a h/w problem with the USB for your S1 (either in the cable, or the PC end or in the S1). If the S1 is at fault, there's probably a way to fix it... but I would buy something (anything) to replace first before spending money on repairs. If both machines fail then it's not the unit.

I did a system restore to 10 days ago. The driver was then installed correctly again. Then I disabled windows update since there had been 3 updates since the driver had been working properly. I then moved the conversion/download files folder to c:/music and voila, have already filled 4 mini discs without a shut down and just ordered 20 mini discs off ebay. woot woot

thanks so much man, I would have been screwed without you.

one other question, do you think minidiscs will always be available? like the discs themselves? if they are going to become really scarce I may just sack up and buy 100 or so for myself.

Thanks again!

scratch that again, four full discs were a success, then irql not less than equal happened again. I rebooted and tried to run in administrator mode and it crashed after deleting one song right off the bat, so it seems just opening it runs better than right clicking and choosing admin mode.

with that said, is there any info I can pull from the event viewer or something that may be able to help figure out what the heck the issue is?

Sounds like some weird ?3.0 USB thing. I had a heckuva problem with my (piano) keyboard generating random notes all over a score I was working on, every time the MyBook hard disk decided it didn't like what was going on and sent a reset to the entire USB subsystem (I could see it when the keyboard lights flashed). Hence the IRQ message, one might suspect.

Options:

- Get a separate USB card for MD and don't put ANYTHING else on it.

- Try installing on a separate computer and see if the problem repeats

- Turn off as many random services in W7 as you can. I for example turned off file sharing and the Server service

- Unplug EVERYTHING especially hard disks, that run on USB and see if it makes a difference

- Put a Duracell or Energizer in the S1, not a crappy rechargeable (don't know if you did or no). Plug in (I assume it takes a charger but I am not bothering to check as I write this).

Good luck!

Stephen

hmm what's funny is that lately when the computer restarts, the mouse doesn't work. And the mouse is wireless but has a usb wire for the transmitter. hmmmm

I am using a good energizer battery, i always keep as much off in terms of services on windows as possible.

The only thing I have hooked up usb is the mouse. Lemme see if I can find a different mouse that uses the old mouse port rather than usb.

I will get back to you

Thanks!

You have to drill down into the interrupt resources on each device (via DevMgr). Sorry, there's no easy way.

If it's home-built, I wonder about weird bus/timing problems after some of the things I have seen. I know some machines get incredibly fragile with high clock/bus speeds especially with PS/2 ports (as opposed to USB) for mouse and keyboard.

Maybe you'd do better to put Win64 on it if it's that new a machine?

How's your mains supply? Is it stable and glitch-free?

• 2 months later...

So after having moved to my netbook for transferring since it seems to run better on xp, the issue I am experiencing now is it will try to transfer songs (first it converts them) and it will just randomly remove the songs in the transfer box and not transfer anything over. After this happens the usb driver goes corrupt and the computer can't detect the minidisc player.

It is just issue after issue, and while I am obsessed with the sound quality of mini discs ... I am getting tired of this crap.

Power problems most likely if it is random. Plug the S1 in, if it can be done. If not, at least put an alkaline battery - you're never going to succeed transfer things to a net MD device that runs on AA when the AA's are NiMH.

If it is systematic, you forgot to run the File Conversion Tool on files you are trying to transfer. So in some sense your files were locked to the previous computer, if that's where they were generated.

Hope this helps.