Digital Recording Options

Rate this topic

Soapm

Is minidisc still the latest and greatest? I've used a MZ-NH900 for some years and still happy with it for the most part. Batter life can be a pain but sound can't be matched. I use it to record Church services that I can later edit onto CD's and it's nice not having to filter the tape hiss etc....

However, I was wondering if there is better for this application. The fidelity of digital voice recorders were crappy when I bought the minidisc but I wonder if that's improved? At that time they were good for dictation and that's about it. No music that's for sure. It would be nice to record onto micro SD that can hold several weeks of services or a full week of revival and still get the fidelity and true sound reproduction that I get with my minidisc. No moving parts should greatly improve battery life.

Thoughts?

Is minidisc still the latest and greatest? I've used a MZ-NH900 for some years and still happy with it for the most part. Batter life can be a pain but sound can't be matched. I use it to record Church services that I can later edit onto CD's and it's nice not having to filter the tape hiss etc....

However, I was wondering if there is better for this application. The fidelity of digital voice recorders were crappy when I bought the minidisc but I wonder if that's improved? At that time they were good for dictation and that's about it. No music that's for sure. It would be nice to record onto micro SD that can hold several weeks of services or a full week of revival and still get the fidelity and true sound reproduction that I get with my minidisc. No moving parts should greatly improve battery life.

Thoughts?

Welcome Soapm,

No, of course MD is not the latest and greatest. All of us here kind of enjoy being in a sort of "cult of minidisc" though. Sitting around the campfire and sharing stories.

Yes, definitely try the latest solid state voice recorders. The immediacy and convenience are unbeatable.

Record, connect to PC via USB, transfer, done.

However MD is for me about music and creating compilations and therefore ultimately about emotion. It's a zero-sum game if you ask me. If you emphasize convenience then it takes something out of the accomplishment of crafting a compilation that you had to record in realtime.

• 2 weeks later...