Availability of HI-MD disc situation and Standard MDs in HI-MD mode

Rate this topic

netmduser

Even though HI-MD discs are hard to come by, what is the advantage of using a HI-MD disc over the standard MD in HI-MD mode? PCM recording recording time?

Isn't the standard MD in HI-MD mode a great alternative?

Even though HI-MD discs are hard to come by, what is the advantage of using a HI-MD disc over the standard MD in HI-MD mode? PCM recording recording time?

Isn't the standard MD in HI-MD mode a great alternative?

don't know about the PCM thing but I know that I use standard MDs in my himd unit through sonicstage re-formatted for longer recordings, supposed to be up to 13hrs on an 80min blank though that is the highest compression. but even re-formatted and at the lowest/best quality compression it would be worthwhile surely? considering as you say himd discs are hard to get and of course they are, whilst standards are actually very easy to get ebay is full of them and you are probably like me and have plenty anyhow.

isn't pcm a format without compression though? like the highest quality possible? for audiophile guys ect? the last himd portable was marketed for this purpose from what I remember, as well as upload himd to pc I believe. if it was me id definitely be messing around with standard MDs at the better quality bit rates after being re-formatted to himd if high quality is what you are after.

for me as I said in my post about bit rates and if I might not be as sharp in the hearing department as I used to be to which you kindly replied, I use my standard 48kpbs on my himd discs and on my re-formatted standard MDs. perfect for transfer of digital mp3 tracks and radio podcasts which iam fond of. for better quality and for MD deck playback I like MDLP4 via a net md unit, I get the impression from you though that you want the highest quality possible from a standard disc re-formatted to himd, in that case id definitely go for the least compression and re-format a standard in your himd portable be interesting to here what you make of the sound quality.

PCM is the same as CD quality no lossy compression present.

only way to get this pcm is on that himd unit I was trying to explain, the model number alludes me but it was the last model made is it an mz -rh10 or something?

iam no expert but I think this is the only way to get true high quality pcm from minidisc. unless its technically pcm when one CD is transferred and only one without compression, onto any generation of minidisc recorder, in either real time analougue or by digital transfer without any compression?

not what iam into, I like to cram the music on my discs, but very interesting none the less. surely a 60, 74 or 80min standard MD re-formatted into himd mode on a less lossy compression bit rate would still be very good quality for mr netmd would it not or am I missing something? I think you can choose from pcm, hisp or hilp but wouldn't that just give you a max of 80 mins on a standard disc in himd pcm mode? I don't know its over my head, good luck again very interesting.