vinyl converted to mp3 to atrac

Rate this topic

jammydodger1

as the title suggest I was given an mp3 file 320kbps of some vinyl a friend archived from his own personal collection, he intends to use the mp3s now and either sell or store his collection.

well it was something I never thought id ever do but I converted the vinyl LP (led zeppelin 1) onto a new 74min maxell md 74 rm blank disc using my mzn h600 hi md unit set to net md mode and on sp mode, no compression.

and wow what a real nice warm sound much nicer than the same said album I have on CD and also recorded to MD. pops hisses and all just sounds like its being played on a record deck (obviously like it records everything warts and all),but a lovely thing indeed.

just thought id share this and as always, would love to here your thoughts? has anybody else had occasion to do this? was it a waste of time? ive never even done this before via analogue out of a record deck let alone an already converted to mp3 file.

cheers... and happy mini discing.

When I bought my very first MD deck the first thing I did was to record all my 7 inch singles to MD, purely for the convenience of listening to them all. I remember it being a rather time consuming affair, sometimes taking 2 or 3 attempts to get the levels right due to the variations between one record and another. I've still got those discs and yes, when listening to them they don't sound any different to the original records. I've still got the original singles as well.

I have also on some occasions recorded MP3 files from my PC to MD (in real time, SP mode) and these usually end up sounding BETTER when played back on MD. This is simply because ALL of my MD players are such superior quality to that silly little toy of an MP3 player I've got (frequency response 80 Hz to 18 kHz). Yep, 80 Hz is as low as it goes, not surprisingly I usually refer to it as "the gutless wonder".

I did this once. And decided to abandon vinyl once and forever :D

But not because of recording to MD of course.

BTW, did you record it with SP? Or with NetMD ATRAC3Plus? Because both indeed do have compression. If you used one of them you essentially transcoded them from one lossy format to another.

its not something I will be doing all the time as I replaced anything I had on vinyl to cd then to md years ago. this was just a test to see what vinyl-mp3(320kbps) to md sounded like when the opportunity presented itself.

all I merely did was transfer the said vinyl/mp3 file to sonicstage then transfer it to portable unit in sp form. it was already in mp3 form from the original vinyl.

my son has told me that he can get anything vinyl he wants online in flac or mp3 file form apparently with the young'uns its all the rage, how old does that make me feel and so behind the times. but why would they seek to do this?

any how I liked the sound of the original 1969 LP and it sounded great on my md deck.

When I bought my very first MD deck the first thing I did was to record all my 7 inch singles to MD, purely for the convenience of listening to them all. I remember it being a rather time consuming affair, sometimes taking 2 or 3 attempts to get the levels right due to the variations between one record and another. I've still got those discs and yes, when listening to them they don't sound any different to the original records. I've still got the original singles as well.

I have also on some occasions recorded MP3 files from my PC to MD (in real time, SP mode) and these usually end up sounding BETTER when played back on MD. This is simply because ALL of my MD players are such superior quality to that silly little toy of an MP3 player I've got (frequency response 80 Hz to 18 kHz). Yep, 80 Hz is as low as it goes, not surprisingly I usually refer to it as "the gutless wonder".

that's what I got an md recorder for all those years back to archive my CD's. I had already by that stage replaced my vinyl to CD. yes everything does seem to sound better to MD i completely agree.

my son has told me that he can get anything vinyl he wants online in flac or mp3 file form apparently with the young'uns its all the rage, how old does that make me feel and so behind the times. but why would they seek to do this?

Yes, the scene for vinyl rips is quite big, he´s right about that. And it´s true, they all love it, especially the very young... like 16 or 20. But it doesn´t make me feel old, it just makes me feel less 'hip'. I don´t need different media to feel old, a view at myself in the mirror suffices :D

Why do they listen to vinyl anyway? Maybe because it´s cool, maybe because it´s riddled with flaws (like humans are), maybe it´s because you can see exactly how it works, maybe it´s because LPs are so big, black... with such a huge sleeve design. Another important reason might be that they didn´t grow up using real media. They used 'disembodied' media only (on HDD, SD, MemoryStick, whatever).

Yes, the scene for vinyl rips is quite big, he´s right about that. And it´s true, they all love it, especially the very young... like 16 or 20. But it doesn´t make me feel old, it just makes me feel less 'hip'. I don´t need different media to feel old, a view at myself in the mirror suffices :D

Why do they listen to vinyl anyway? Maybe because it´s cool, maybe because it´s riddled with flaws (like humans are), maybe it´s because you can see exactly how it works, maybe it´s because LPs are so big, black... with such a huge sleeve design. Another important reason might be that they didn´t grow up using real media. They used 'disembodied' media only (on HDD, SD, MemoryStick, whatever).

yea your most likely right. our generation has been through vinyl, tape, compact disc, mini disc and then digital download so we have experienced it all. for example i remember as a kid, sitting with my dad listening to LPs and just holding and looking at them. I cant count how many times we listened to mike oldfield tubular bells and old 60s compilations and even old 1950s rock and roll LPs too that belonged to my granda.

I remember standing queuing up to buy smells like teen spirit from nirvana on 7" that was my first proper single as a teenager on vinyl, I had bought loads before in the 80s but this was the first mature record I felt anyway. my dad hated when I played it on his Panasonic turntable said it was going to wreck his beloved speakers :lol2:

well something maybe has been lost indeed with all digital music but much more convenient and sounds better maybe? still iam glad I have the vinyl version of the album I recorded to mini disc that old sound took me back to those sunday afternoons of mike oldfield and elvis Presley ect :heart:

yea your most likely right. our generation has been through vinyl, tape, compact disc, mini disc and then digital download so we have experienced it all. for example i remember as a kid, sitting with my dad listening to LPs and just holding and looking at them. I cant count how many times we listened to mike oldfield tubular bells and old 60s compilations and even old 1950s rock and roll LPs too that belonged to my granda.

I remember standing queuing up to buy smells like teen spirit from nirvana on 7" that was my first proper single as a teenager on vinyl, I had bought loads before in the 80s but this was the first mature record I felt anyway. my dad hated when I played it on his Panasonic turntable said it was going to wreck his beloved speakers :lol2:

well something maybe has been lost indeed with all digital music but much more convenient and sounds better maybe? still iam glad I have the vinyl version of the album I recorded to mini disc that old sound took me back to those sunday afternoons of mike oldfield and elvis Presley ect :heart:

You've hit the nail on the head there. Those of us that are old enough (and I suspect I'm a little older than jammydodger1, but not as old as Jim, sorry Jim) have indeed experienced it all so we can at least make some sort of informed decision as to what sounds best. A lot of young people will say MP3 sounds best simply because they've never known any different and have nothing to compare it with.

We obviously all have our own preferences and what sounds great to one person might not to somebody else. And of course there are other factors that influence people. For example I'm convinced the Ipod only took off as well as it did because it became "cool & trendy". Well it certainly wasn't for mind-blowing sound quality was it?

Must admit I still find something magical in that sound of the stylus first dropping on to the record, the hum of the surface noise, and maybe the odd crackle. But that's just me, it might annoy the hell out of someone who's only ever known the clarity of CD.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Those of us that are old enough (and I suspect I'm a little older than jammydodger1, but not as old as Jim, sorry Jim) have indeed experienced it all so we can at least make some sort of informed decision as to what sounds best. A lot of young people will say MP3 sounds best simply because they've never known any different and have nothing to compare it with.

We obviously all have our own preferences and what sounds great to one person might not to somebody else. And of course there are other factors that influence people. For example I'm convinced the Ipod only took off as well as it did because it became "cool & trendy". Well it certainly wasn't for mind-blowing sound quality was it?

Must admit I still find something magical in that sound of the stylus first dropping on to the record, the hum of the surface noise, and maybe the odd crackle. But that's just me, it might annoy the hell out of someone who's only ever known the clarity of CD.

I don´t like the sound of vinyl for numerous reasons. I´ve always got the feeling that it doesn´t give me the truth, but an euphonically beautified version of it, that includes cracks, pops, clicks, noise, yadda, yadda. An orchestra is unbearable for me on vinyl.

I grew up with vinyl (I still own every single one of my LPs... oh, and 45 rpm singles: how I loved them) and over the years I´ve even bought some more recent editions when they contained some nifty, little, musical extra. Sometimes I bought it for the sleeve design only... only vinyl has covers as huge as they come. I own the HIStory album from Michael Jackson on vinyl (it´s super-rare nowadays; strange) and while the CD beats it easily soundwise, the gigantic cover design has its own merits. The booklet has turned into a heavy book!

But even though I grew up with vinyl and tape I still welcomed the CD. It has given me so much more fun... well, in recent years it sucked because of the material that has been released on it. But that hasn´t anything to do with the medium itself. For example, I own 'Rock Dust Light Star' & 'Hard Candy' on vinyl... and they sound as bad as their respective CDs. But the 'Hard Candy' album looks cool... like candy :D

I don´t like the sound of vinyl for numerous reasons. I´ve always got the feeling that it doesn´t give me the truth, but an euphonically beautified version of it, that includes cracks, pops, clicks, noise, yadda, yadda. An orchestra is unbearable for me on vinyl.

I grew up with vinyl (I still own every single one of my LPs... oh, and 45 rpm singles: how I loved them) and over the years I´ve even bought some more recent editions when they contained some nifty, little, musical extra. Sometimes I bought it for the sleeve design only... only vinyl has covers as huge as they come. I own the HIStory album from Michael Jackson on vinyl (it´s super-rare nowadays; strange) and while the CD beats it easily soundwise, the gigantic cover design has its own merits. The booklet has turned into a heavy book!

But even though I grew up with vinyl and tape I still welcomed the CD. It has given me so much more fun... well, in recent years it sucked because of the material that has been released on it. But that hasn´t anything to do with the medium itself. For example, I own 'Rock Dust Light Star' & 'Hard Candy' on vinyl... and they sound as bad as their respective CDs. But the 'Hard Candy' album looks cool... like candy :D

I do like the sound of vinyl but not to the extent where id be seeking high quality lossless vinyl rips. as for giving you the truth? for me it seems more real and true to the original vision of what the band and producer wanted to achieve. for example nowadays music is defo recorded with a view that it will be listen to on an ipod with shit earphones so the producer knows this and records to suit whereas vinyl LPs seemed to flow better we listened to whole albums on a turntable with speakers rather than an mp3 player on shuffle which I know my kids do.

I do agree whole heartedly that the compact disc was and still is far better soundwise, youd have to be an idiot not to realize this, but as you say lost the big pictures of the album art work and to some extent lost its soul a little, even audio tapes had loads of pictures and art compared to the CD.