Sony PCM-M10 track order

Rate this question

Soundbox

Question

I have been enjoying my new PCM-M10 very much apart from one thing I cannot fathom out. I hope someone here may know.

When importing an album (folder of tracks) to the M10 - using it as a music player when not recording - the folder imports fine, however all the tracks are muddled up. I can open the folder by connecting the M10 to my laptop and set the order correct, but playing back without connecting to the computer they are all muddled. I even put the track number at the beginning of the title - no luck.

I have only ever owned MiniDisc and cassette so am not that up on sorting files. Thanks for any input.

2 answers to this question

Hey Ian,

I think the sort order is alphabetic. So you have to put leading zeroes for it to work when you prefix the titles with track numbers.

Like this:

001-

002-

003-

You can do 01- 02 &c but then you stuck with 99 tracks (or 100 if you number the first one 00).

Here's the order you get otherwise:

... and so on. I threw in the 300/301/302 to show you what happens. 101 and 201 would come earlier too.

Computers are stupid. They see this number as a string because no one told them different.

I think MD does the same except the MD software saves you because it writes the track number to a numeric field. But if you sort them in Sonic Stage (try it) the same thing will happen. Once they're sorted you're SOL.

Stephen