Xitel MD-Port AN1

Rate this topic

netmduser

I've seen a few of these around, various shapes and sizes, some of them crop up on eBay, but I never quite understood the point of them. These days, most computers have HD Audio built in, digital coaxial or optical out (certainly all three in my case). I wouldn't like to say that the Line Out is better than anything else. Chances are a dedicated sound card will be better. The only USB sound device I use is my 302 Mixer, but that is mostly used as input to the PC. Output comes straight from the Line Out to my Hi-Fi, and minidisc stuff is done (for the moment at least) via the optical output.

You are correct digital/optical is better. Normally I burn to cd and then use a dvd player with optical out. Also have a laptop that has optical out but haven't used it yet. The AN1 I can select as an output source and continue to use other programs and sounds without interfering, I guess soundcards can do that too these days. However it is fun to record with analog and sounds great.

I've seen a few of these around, various shapes and sizes, some of them crop up on eBay, but I never quite understood the point of them. These days, most computers have HD Audio built in, digital coaxial or optical out (certainly all three in my case). I wouldn't like to say that the Line Out is better than anything else. Chances are a dedicated sound card will be better. The only USB sound device I use is my 302 Mixer, but that is mostly used as input to the PC. Output comes straight from the Line Out to my Hi-Fi, and minidisc stuff is done (for the moment at least) via the optical output.

I used to use a Xitel MD port all of the time - but that was a long time ago. It definitely was better quality than going out of the sound card, but now it doesn't really matter. Primarily I used it to record audio off of DVD concerts, and sometimes TV shows.

I use the same Hoshnasi, which I got from eBay. Yes, there is no degredation in quality as it is all digital end-to-end. The big benefit is that you don;t need to adjust recording levels that much and you get synchro-record.

It works well... even udner Linux. However I was VERY miffed to find no switch to put it into discrete mode so that tracks marks are made automagically.

This meant I had to do it the old way with "2-3 seconds of silence" gaps, however we all know that is not 100% reliable (maybe 95% reliable...).

I was curious if the track marks are put in automatically with the unit that netmduser posted.

my experience was that these Usb-> spdif out don´t do trackmarks very well. may also depend on playback software. I used it for a short period and had to insert all marks afterwards on the recorder itself. i played flac files with vlc cause i had no cd-r at that time

This was pretty much work as one can imagine. I think it was Md POrt 2 i was using. its collecting dust in a box now :D :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to use a Xitel MD port all of the time - but that was a long time ago. It definitely was better quality than going out of the sound card, but now it doesn't really matter. Primarily I used it to record audio off of DVD concerts, and sometimes TV shows.

Just realized that if you follow the link - it goes to the Amazon page with one review - mine, from 2004!