Sonic Forge versions?

Rate this topic

Azureal

Hey Stephen,

I was interested in getting your thoughts on a suitable version of Sonic Forge for editing and manipulating sound files, specifically ATRAC files.

I see there are many revisions and I don't intend to shell out 400 USD for the Pro version for a tool I really only want to use to play around.

What are your thoughts on the less expensive Studio version?

Yeah that's what you need. I am still on 9.0 but I bought and am still looking at a copy of 10. I'll install it but the specs clearly say it edits ATRAC. I compared with the previous box, and they both do so.

An alternative is to buy one of the relatively cheap sound recording devices from Sony and they throw a copy in as part of the deal. That's how I got my 9.0. You might have to look around a bit, but I am sure you'll find something.

Most of the stuff in the Pro version has to do with stuff you don't need - much of it video.

Stephen

Very cool, thanks for the feedback. I'll have a look around to see what sort of prices I can find. It looks like a cool tool. I mentioned sometime back that I use the Sony Vegas Studio software for doing Non-Linear Editing of video and for making DVDs from video recordings.

I could be wrong but I believe the division of Sony that writes the Vegas tools is also the same division who write the Sonic Forge tools as well. They produce a very high quality product. It is a group of developers in Wisconsin or someplace in NA who I am sure were purchased by Sony years ago to allow them to jump into the market quickly.

Thanks again Stephen!