24 bit on optical out

Rate this topic

Soundbox

I have a JB940 deck that offers 24 bit on the optical output. I also have a Sony flash recorder that accepts 24 bit on the optical input (at varying frequencies).

If I used this method to copy an SP recorded disc to my flash recorder instead of using the MZ-RH1 and the SonicStage converting to 16 bit, would I gain some theoretical sound quality improvement?

I have some SP recorded items that I want to save in the best possible quality.

Thanks for any input.

I doubt that your Sony flash recorder accept to copy sound from your Sony deck, except in an analog connection. Direct digital copy is not allowed by Sony.

Unless I'm mistaken, doesnt SCMS allow ONE copy of a disc? For instance Minidisc A -> Minidisc B. Copying from Minidisc B -> Minidisc C is then not possible, unless you use a device that strips the SCMS.

Unless it was set to not allow copying from the begining, for instance if it it's source was a CD, etc? I'm sure someone who knows about SCMS will fill in all the correct information if I'm wrong.

Surely you don't care. Record and edit in 24 bits on the pc. Transfer to the flash recorder via usb. No need for optical.

I think what the OP means is that by using their RH1 to transfer directly to PC, they'd lose resolution and bit depth as it would force a conversion to 16-bit LPCM. It's entirely possible that their PC doesn't have an optical digital line-in.

The recording was one I made myself using microphones.

I want to edit it in the digital domain so if I can capture the 24 bits it will give me more to edit with (well I hope so anyway).

If you made recordings using microphones you won´t have any problems transferring the 24 bit output to your flash recorder. Once it´s captured by this recorder it´s stored as a (24 bit) file which then can be edited with full quality. And I´m sure that you will have an advantage doing it this way. To my knowledge, the MZ-RH1 transfers ATRAC SP recordings only as 16 bit files (incredibly stupid), even WideBitStream recordings such as yours.

Both recorders most certainly use SCMS (not entirely sure since your flash recorder might ignore the SCMS bit entirely... it´s a professional device, isn´t it?). This is an early form of Digital Rights Management where a single bit tells the connected recorder if the digital stream can be copied or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Copy_Management_System

Thanks for the input. MDietrich, that is exactly what I mean. If there is a possibility of capturing a better quality than the 16 bit the MZ-RH1 offers via USB connection then it is worth the effort.

My MD contains the sound of fireworks and celebrations from 2000 and I would like to give it a bass lift in the editing stage. I will try it tonight and report if the single digital copy issue reares it's head.

My computer has no optical input and since my Sony flash recorder does I was hoping to make use of that.

I use a similar process with my JB940 and Edirol R-4 Recorder using the digital coax ports as it overrides the SCMS. This is useful for those MDs which have been recorded using analogue microphones, as they are categorized as 'Master Copies' by the SCMS, and will only allow one digital copy to be made. You should find the audio copy to be excellent quality!

The only thing I could probably make you aware of is that optical removes any kind of electrical hum that you might get going from one device to anther and if I'm not mistaken, coaxial does not escape this.

I don't think the hum itself is reproduced as coax digital is independent of the sound. But excessive hum or ground loops can cause complete loss of digital connection if it is bad enough.

I thought I would share my first transfer done via this method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFZAzrJZtsY

Of course quality is compromised but I do feel that it is better than I got when I used the MZ-RH1 for the USB transfer. What bit depth is the MZ-R30?

Using the headphone output of the Sony flash recorder (using something called 'Virtual Battery Technology') makes the MD transfers sound better than playing back on the MD recorder itself. Of course with so many pocket music players supporting 24 Bit there is no need to dither to 16 Bit - just play the full 24. The iBasso DX-50 and Fiio X3 spring to mind.