MDS-JE510 Parts?

Rate this topic

mdmc

I have a perfectly good MDS-JE510. A few months ago a friend renowned for clumsiness inserted a MD and pushed it upwards. Afterwards I could not insert a disc. On removing the case I found that the overhead reader head (I found out what it was via the net) was broken off on one side and hanging down in front of the disc aperture. When I lifted it and inserted a disc, it skipped and would not record. I guess it needs fixing.

A few places on the net mention replacing this, but they are usually old articles. I checked the spare parts section on this site and most of the suppliers seem to be defunct. I am in England,

I did see a page which showed the overhead readers for sale in the US for $28.99 but have not been able to find the page since.

Is changing the overhead reader an easy job? Can anyone tell me where I can buy one?

Does anyone know of a reasonable repairer in the UK that could fix this? These models are still listed at highish prices on Ebay so I would like to get it sorted out.

I use minidiscs for backings for live performance and find them much more reliable and robust than mp3 players, CDs or PCs.

I still have MDs in use that were recorded in the 1990s! I have three other SONY MD players, but this one is the newest I own.

Thank you

Hum hum Azureal... mdmc is talking about a MDS-JE510 deck not a portable unit. But I agree with you, a new deck will be cheaper than asking a repair (except with Jim Hoggarth who ask reasonnable money for working on portable units, so sorry that Jim is not now able to do any MD job).

Hum hum Azureal... mdmc is talking about a MDS-JE510 deck not a portable unit. But I agree with you, a new deck will be cheaper than asking a repair (except with Jim Hoggarth who ask reasonnable money for working on portable units, so sorry that Jim is not now able to do any MD job).

Oops!

Sorry about that, I misread the original post! :sorry:

I found out the part no is 1-500-396-11 HEAD, OVER WRITE, but the place given for supply in 2008 does not list it. - partstore.com This may be useful to someone.

Found this, too - http://www.fullcompass.com/product/291373.html

As you found the exact reference, I can ask now to phamcu in Vietnam if he has it. If yes, I can send it to you in UK once I will be in France at the end of july. Just wait.

phamcu : http://www.5giay.vn/am-thanh-audio/3360572-ban-dau-md-desk-thu-phat-hoac-lam-da-va-cac-dich-vu-lien-quan-toi-minidisc.html

Just my two cents' advice - do NOT fix this model. There are tons of useful workhorses available on the 'bay but this model is not one of them. Something to do, according to our missing and lamented Jim, with many of the parts being made of rustable metal, rather than plastic as in the very next models such as JE520. Microswitches and relays stop working, and ..... <poof> <blam> you have a dead machine.

If you keep it around, then you can cannibalise it for parts in years to come. But not worth fixing.

Stephen

PS my first deck was one of these and it absolutely resisted all attempts to fix after doing exactly what happened to you.

1. phamcu does not answer yet. If he have the spare part, that will cost around 5 to 10 euros (common price for a lens). Shiping to UK will cost few euros.

2. I agree with sfbp-Stephen, this is not a ES or even a QS unit witch are all valued more than 100 euros. This 1997's JE510 deck is SP only, not even type-R. That mean you will be able to find a deck with the same quality (Atrac 4.0) around 30 to 50 euros.

Time could be for you to find a MDLP type S unit, even a Net-MD unit if you are lucky. Alternative is to have at least a portable Net-MD unit for an easy PC transfer. But as you have I guess only MDs in SP mode, you can stay in that recording and listening quality (many members do that, one album one MD) so be quite happy with "vintage" SP only deck.

The problem is not the busted overwrite head. The problem is some sequence of bad things when a microswitch or other moving part got stuck.

So you could replace it and the same thing may happen. This is what Jim described to me.

Jim fixed my 510 around two years ago. As Stephen said, the repairs are quite complex but Jim does know exactly what needs doing and only requires the drive block - saves sending the whole machine.

The deck is still working flawlessly today. Does Jim still offer MD service?

That will be a good idea to get it fixed by Jim (as Stephen said in another topic, he is back). Then if Jim need a spare part, eventualy re-contact me and phamcu before I leave Vietnam for holidays in France (midlle of July) so i will be able to send it to you or to Jim in UK.