LIP-4WM Lithium Ion Battery Pack

Rate this topic

rotok01

So it's finally happened; both of my LIP-4WM gumstick batteries have died and will no longer hold charge.

I see many of the LIP-4WM for sale on ebay and random places, but to my knowledge these are all original run Sony brand and are surely pretty old (bad news for lithium-ion batteries).

Does anyone make replacements or equivalents for this battery? I dont care if its some tiny specialty place that charges $100 a pop, just would like to snag a couple of new ones :(

Have you ever tried the documented methods for reviving batteries?

I certainly believe you; but this problem is only going to get worse as time goes on. I had some weird experiences with LIP-4WM but eventually they revived. Some of this must be due to the firmware in the unit it's used with, don't you think?

<.<

Which methods are you refering to?

Have you ever tried the documented methods for reviving batteries?

I certainly believe you; but this problem is only going to get worse as time goes on. I had some weird experiences with LIP-4WM but eventually they revived. Some of this must be due to the firmware in the unit it's used with, don't you think?

I don't want to be rude, but have you tried Googling this? I just did and found a dozen websites all saying the same thing - make the battery discharge, over and over until the unit won't turn on. Then charge it WITHOUT turning the unit on, for as long as possible. A couple of days if you can.

Yes, I have tried those methods, I thought you were refering to a method discussed in a sticky or something I may have missed in this forum.

The <.< was a sign that I wasnt sure what your comment had to do with the original question, not that I hadnt previously tried to jump the batteries.

The unit already will not turn on while on battery power. My MZ-NH1 will flash the battery charging symbol and CHG:--- min before popping up with 00min and shutting down. The unit plays perfectly fine without a battery when I have it in the dock, so its not the unit (unless its the battery contacts which I have cleaned).

I even purchased one of those universal chargers that you clip the battery into to apply the charging bits directly to the battery contacts to no avail.

And I've tried probally 3 more techniques in the last 2 weeks.

Short of hunting down someone with a power supply or working battery and jumping them off (another suggestion I read), I have no more idea of how to charge these up.

Back to my original post (and yes, I have googled that as well) I thought that perhaps the people here would know of an alternative to what appears to be a problem that is cropping up more and more for those using units powered by these LIP-4WM's.

In my case, what I did was to buy a replacement. It wasn't perfect either. But somehow the act of changing batteries on the RH1 convinced it (and the batteries) to start acting properly again - on both of them, and both are still alive to this day.

I know on an android phone, the solution is no more complicated than deleting batterystats.bin. I bet there's some NVRam setting in the RH1 which needs tweaking. But I can't tell you what it is, and you would be ill-advised to attempt an NV reset as recalibrating everything on a HiMD (particularly the RH1) is a real pain in the whatever.

If thats helped, I may just buy another sony one and hope its not DOA lol.

In my case, what I did was to buy a replacement. It wasn't perfect either. But somehow the act of changing batteries on the RH1 convinced it (and the batteries) to start acting properly again - on both of them, and both are still alive to this day.

I know on an android phone, the solution is no more complicated than deleting batterystats.bin. I bet there's some NVRam setting in the RH1 which needs tweaking. But I can't tell you what it is, and you would be ill-advised to attempt an NV reset as recalibrating everything on a HiMD (particularly the RH1) is a real pain in the whatever.

• 2 months later...

It will indeed. I just checked that, knowing that most of the other HiMD units it is also true for.

Where did you look for LIP-4WM? I might try yahoo.co.jp. However as with most japanese sites you will need a proxy bidding service unless you read Japanese (translation by Google is not good enough, you also need someone to take delivery IN JAPAN). Two I can recommend are rinkya.com and buyee.jp

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

There are 4 LIP 4WM batteries on Buyee in an auction for 4,980 Yen which is roughly £28.00, I don't know if they're going to go any higher as I'm not sure how these Japanese sites work, but they state they are brand new and unused, hope this helps.

Steve aka Plumbpipe

If you live in the UK, you could try this site.  However, the total price including VAT is 53.95 UKP (around 80 USD), and they want another 13UKP for shipping.  I may have to give in eventually, but I really resent having to pay this sort of money for a relatively basic battery.

wow  thats expensive - time to dump a minidisc that uses such batteries I think Glad all my portables bar the rh1 use AA. I think there is a lessson there about tech that uses propriety batteries - the same will appply to your smartphone in years to come , should u be a contented user and dont want to change to the latest 3-d holographic device....

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Enzo Heavenly said:

Not a real response to the OP question but... If what you have is an RH1.. you can power it with any external battery using USB to power it. I tried it with several brands (Anker, Samsung,McAlly, etc). But, only the RH1 (M200) can do this, I've tried the same with the RH10, DH10P, etc... but nothing

At least the previous Hi-MD generation has an AA pin power supply. 

• 1 year later...