Minidisc racks & storage

Rate this topic

zokuchou

Just interested in how you store your minidiscs? Pics anyone?

Also, does anyone know where you can find minidisc racks for individual discs? I've seen a few old racks recently that hold about 25 discs and have partitions in them to make it easy to take out discs.

I have searched on this forum for old posts but didn't find what I was looking for. Something like this:

post-128858-0-10762900-1401366372_thumb.

Cheers, Z!

I am in the uk and bought from argos some minidisc drawers back in the day.

Also highpoint branded wood and metal racks which stand vertically i bought from a charity shop a couple of years ago.

Might be worth searching highpoint on ebay.

In the uk tapecity website had some Minidisc storage solutions last time i looked a year or so ago.

I store all my mini discs in those plastic 10 boxes and these in LP cases. All in just 2 LP cases. I have copied all my stuff to pc long time ago so this is mainly archive storage. But not hard to get to the small box that I want. I dont like those racks that display then individually as would mean too many racks that collect the dust & too time consuming to clean, also the dust gets into the sony type cases

• 1 month later...

Managed to get these off ebay for a ridiculous price (half as ridiculous than what he was originally asking, but still ridiculous), the two black units hold 48 MDs each, double that if you place caseless MDs under the cased ones. The travel "pallete case" holds 12 discs without cases.

Never seen these before nor can I find any record of them ever existing online but they say official Sony coolness to me, had to have em.

post-136787-0-19959400-1405502959_thumb.

post-136787-0-80281700-1405503000_thumb.

The 12 holder could have been designed better - it tends to want to drop one side of discs out of their hold when you open it 'normally'.

And yeah, his original prices were nuts!! Even half still crazy - but for (cool) MD stuff, you gotta do what you gotta do :-) :-P

• 4 weeks later...

post-147507-0-96270800-1407719553_thumb.

This is the best all-around option I have found: The Plano 3730 box. You can get it from lots of places for about US$7-ish. It holds a lot of discs, but that means different things for different folks. You can fit ten discs per slot unless they're in a case, then you can only fit five. If you want to be able to flip & browse discs, then about eight per slot is the magic number.

In any case, they fit & protect discs really well and are inexpensive.

• 4 months later...

Hi Footmobile,

I was wondering if you could tell me what the model number is on the black units that hold 48 MD's? I'd be interested in trying to acquire a few of these if possible.

My love for MD's has been rekindled since I acquired a Sony MD deck for free earlier this year and I've been listening to some old albums I'd forgot I had on MD. I'm now going to start buying more blanks and creating albums with music I've downloaded digitally over the years, hence the requirement to find some decent storage solutions. Currently I have them stored in the plastic cases the come with when you buy a pack of 10 but I also have quite a few loose ones. Ideally i'll transfer them all into one storage solution, but I can also make use of my current storage.

Long live the MD. As long as guys like us still make use of the tech it will never die! :) . Hopefully one day it will come around again just as vinyl has.

Happy new year to you all by the way!!

I have a dozen of Hi-MD 1Gb, half is 1st black generation so I can check for a box for your cartridge (how much of them do you have).

hachi hachi

http://www.hachihachi.com.vn/San-pham/VPP-Luu-niem-Do-choi/Ho-so

Each plastic box cost 1,8 to 3 euros.

I have already two dozen of their boxes (MD with case box type, MD without case box type) both plastic and wood

Uma

http://uma.vn/default/small-storage/small-storage-boxes-and-crates.html

Beautiful wooden boxes (brick set type), each 3,5 to 5,5 euros

Today I will bring a camera and a 1Gb MD disc with his cartridge to Uma (1 km) and hachi hachi (500 m)...

Maybe good time to take some pictures of my MD storage solution.

http://uma.vn/default/small-storage/small-storage-boxes-and-crates/brick-set-4.html

Fitted for a lot of MD without case or cartridge, idealy to be used by two (one for the cover, add eventually hinges)

There are some shelves at uma.vn (Loka model) that could be very interesting

http://uma.vn/default/living-room/coffee-tables-and-side-tables-1.html?p=3

post-119791-0-45832100-1420352387_thumb.

post-119791-0-98251100-1420353127_thumb. post-119791-0-56237400-1420353129_thumb. post-119791-0-56350200-1420353131_thumb.

post-119791-0-08873800-1420353133_thumb. post-119791-0-09362500-1420353135_thumb. post-119791-0-11804000-1420353137_thumb.

post-119791-0-08166800-1420353139_thumb. post-119791-0-60758700-1420353140_thumb.

Lead 2 & Lead 3 are the best for classic MD with cases

Lead 4 fit 1Gb cartridge...

More details here : http://www.hachihachi.com.vn/San-pham/VPP-Luu-niem-Do-choi/Dung-cu-van-phong

The box which look like a basket fit 1Gb cartridges (but this is not beautiful, except the white "Windy" model)

MD in my home (change place all the time  :lol: )

post-119791-0-16831200-1420353142_thumb. post-119791-0-61433500-1420353151_thumb.

post-119791-0-17297000-1420353153_thumb. post-119791-0-69306200-1420353154_thumb.

Wooden boxes came from Hachi-Hachi also, only 9 MD with case per section. They have small hinges and can be hanged on a wall. All other plastic boxes are Lead 2 & 3 transparent. Also one whisky bottle case and one MD shelve. A fisherman closed box for some of my MD units.

• 1 month later...

Hi Footmobile,

I was wondering if you could tell me what the model number is on the black units that hold 48 MD's? I'd be interested in trying to acquire a few of these if possible.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I rarely check these forums but I should change that.

I've been studying my Sony black boxes for you. I've looked at every surface inside and out and the only printing I can find is the Sony logo on the left of the top drawer and ABS printed on the underside. Not even a sticker or a serial number in sight!

It's really kinda bizarre, even my Sony mobile stand has a model number. Even my Sony cable adaptors have model numbers!

Sorry I couldn't help. I've only ever seen these on the ebay auction I bought them from. Seller said he bought them in a store in Australia and they had been special imported from Japan, ie not world wide product.

All I can suggest is scour Yahoo Japan auctions. Good luck, they look so bad ass on the desk next to my new JB980! 

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I rarely check these forums but I should change that.

I've been studying my Sony black boxes for you. I've looked at every surface inside and out and the only printing I can find is the Sony logo on the left of the top drawer and ABS printed on the underside. Not even a sticker or a serial number in sight!

It's really kinda bizarre, even my Sony mobile stand has a model number. Even my Sony cable adaptors have model numbers!

Sorry I couldn't help. I've only ever seen these on the ebay auction I bought them from. Seller said he bought them in a store in Australia and they had been special imported from Japan, ie not world wide product.

All I can suggest is scour Yahoo Japan auctions. Good luck, they look so bad ass on the desk next to my new JB980! 

No problem thanks for having a look anyway, I appreciate you taking the time. I'll do as you suggest and keep an eye on the Japanese Yahoo auction site. As it turns out I've managed to source some official Sony MD boxes but i'd still love to get my hands on a couple of those ones you have. If you ever see any come up give me a shout if you don't mind and i'll check them out. 

Thanks again for your time.