Net MD question

Rate this topic

• 1 month later...

Hehe, I remember this little quirk!  The problem is when you use NetMD to transfer a track, it sets a flag on the track known as TrPROT (IIRC that's what the display will say if you try to delete it, standalone).  Obviously this is short for "track protect" meaning the track is protected from manipulation (including deletion unfortunately) on the unit in standalone mode.

The interesting part to this story is Sony implemented this feature before NetMD was introduced but it wasn't in the MD standard from the get-go.  It was a "reserved" part of the specification, not defined or activated until some point into MD's lifetime.  In fact, IIRC, it was implemented before MDLP as well!  However if you have an old enough recorder, you can delete the track because it will not check for the TrPROT flag (or it will ignore it).  I *think* you have to go back to units that were pre-R90 (i.e. the MZ-R90 does support/abide by the TrPROT flag), in order to do the deletion but I can't remember exactly where along the line it started.

Furthermore I think some units would not even erase the entire disc, like Azureal stated above.  However again, if you go back to older units they should do so without protest.  Of course if you don't have any of the older MD gear, you will be SOL on that one and will have to use SS for deletion.

Close... but not quite on the money. I have several units that are MDLP but pre-NetMD, eg MDS-JE640, MDS-PC3. MXD-D40 all of which are fine with erasing completely anything and everything. I suspect the pre-NetMD portables will be the same, such as R900/909. I just haven't checked.

It's PARTICULARLY annoying with disks reformatted to HiMD, hehe. Two tracks that fill the entire disk (of course).

Hmm, it seems the deck units did not get that "feature" until NetMD then.  However portables certainly did have TrPROT earlier and in some cases even before MDLP. I remember that much pretty clearly. If you check with your R91 you should see it come up, and definitely with an R900.  It's unfortunate that the T-Station is gone as this information was all once there :( 

I did find this thread here on Insider which was originally from the .org forums, but for some reason I can't paste the link?  But if one searches here or even google for "TrProt" it comes up. 

Funny enough I said there nearly the same thing as I've said here--not a bad memory for 10 years ago, LOL!.  But yeah on that thread you can see there was someone who couldn't do it with an R500 which was pre-NetMD

I've now tried out my R909. You are perfectly right (again). So it needs a deck to ignore TrProtect!

Edit: curiouser and curiouser - I made a disk using NetMD (on an RH10 actually but I won't digress about that). You cannot erase using portable or on the MDS-PC3 MXD-D40 or CMT-PX3 (bookshelf) via M-Crew. However this appears to be enforced by M-Crew since all operations (including erase) are successful from the front panel. The MDS-J640 is able to do whatever you want without restriction to protected tracks. Very interesting though - M-Crew will allow you to combine tracks that are protected even though erasure is not possible.

The Onkyo HiMD deck enforces TrProtect, however and will not let you erase or combine any protected tracks at all.

Yeah stupid TrPROT! I guess if it is ignored on a JE640, decks definitely never got the "feature" until they had NetMD which is odd considering how many years prior portables had it!  Even more odd than M-Crew enforces restrictions that the decks themselves do not.  Looks like Sony had totally different groups working on these products--the guys that designed the decks didn't bother enforcing TrPROT but the M-Crew guys knew the decks could read/recognise the flag and utilised it properly. 

Very, very inconsistent application of this flag it seems. 

Pretty cool that you have one of those Onkyo decks--those are rare! :)