Wanted: MZ-NE410, NZ-NE420, MZ-DN430, MZ-NF520 or PSYC for PARTS

Rate this topic

Ral-Clan

Hi, the ribbon cable (flexi cable) connecting the mainboard of my NZ-NE410 NetMD portable to the circuit board in the clamshell door has started to break after many years of use. The machine still works well, but the display flickered for a while and now has stopped showing anything.

It's an extremely fine repair and would be very difficult to patch in jumper wires (harder than the well-known overwrite record head repair that is similar in nature). Therefore, I'm looking for a dead or malfunctioning replacement model from which I can take the whole display/control panel circuit board with intact ribbon cable and replace the faulty one in my unit.

So I am looking for a dead or broken MZ-NE410, NZ-NE420, MZ-DN430 or MZ-NF520.  These were also branded the Sony "Psyc" models. They all seem to use the same parts for this panel / flexi cable.  Does anyone have one they can donate or sell to me?

Optionally, if someone knows where I can buy just a replacement ribbon cable / flexi-cable, that would be GREAT.  I am not quite sure how it solders onto the display circuitboard (as it is mostly plastic) but I would like to give it a try.

Is anyone aware of a service manual for this unit?

Please reply to this thread or e-mail: w00denflutes A T y a h o o DOT ca

(replace zeros with "o" in the above address)

Thanks very much!

Well, it's no-nonsense reliable little guy that has given me good service for 10 years, and still has a lot of life in it if a simple part can be swapped. It's an easy fix to do if I can get the part cheaply, why not?

I like the less fancy MD portables because you can carry them around without having to "baby" them or worry about them like more expensive models.  Sound is pretty good too.  Honestly, it's been more reliable than the thin gumstick "high end" MD portables I own.

Thanks for the link to the service manual.  I looked up the part number I needed it is available - but as with most Sony parts, it is priced way beyond the value of the unit itself.  I always wondered why Sony does this - they must be sitting on a warehouse of these parts, which no one will order because of the insane prices they demand.  Then in a few years Sonly will send it all to the recyclers.

So I'm still looking for a defective unit for parts.

Hi, well, that would be fine too. But these are low end units and I could buy a working one for $20-$40 on ebay -  or less on a good day.

I was considering repairing this one if I could do it cheaply. If the replacement parts cost more than $10 or so then you're right - might as well buy a fully functional one or switch over to one of the more expensive MD portables in my small collection.

I just like to repair things where possible instead of throwing them out.  I actually find it fun to fix things.