audio quality PC(sonicStage/simple burner-MD vs CD player-MD Deck

Rate this topic

brook392

I was wondering, if You"re copying CD audio via SonicStage to MD on SP mode, is any difference in audio quality? (dynamic range, bit rate etc..) vs CD player-MD deck SP mode?. For example inf You record CD from PC via simple burner direct to portable player, it would be the same audio quality like recording MD via CD player-MD deck?

Wonder, wonder. It is well known on this forum that Sonic Stage make a fake SP with a LP2 like sound quality. Onlty LP2 and LP4 are exactly the same using Sonic Stage or direct recording. To get a real SP quality, please use a direct real time recording.

About recording in 4x or similar speed with a combo CD-MD deck, boombox or bookshelve, I am not sure. Maybe somebody else has an answer. 

I have some opinions about 1x/4x SP/LP recording using Sony MXD-D40 and D400 CD/MD decks, if that is relevant here.

Best SQ (not surprising): SP @ normal speed. Noticeably better to my ears than hi-speed CD > MD in SP. We know that the Type R copying decks don't use Type R at the higher speeds (probably 4.5?). That could explain it.

LP2 sounds louder to me than SP, but never better, whether recorded at normal or hi speed. Also—and I know this may sound strange—MD to MD recordings sound really good. I do this digitally between any two of: MXD-D400, MDS-JA20ES, Kenwood MD-2070/DMF-9020.

Finally, a number of years ago, I bought a used head unit for my car. It was the Sony MDX-CA680X. The seller include with it a bunch of MDs he had recorded on SS. They sounded great on the CA680X. IIRC, even the LP4 MDs from SS sounded all right.

Ultimately, I think I agree with PhillipeC, though. Real SP quality is gotten by using direct, real-time, [digital] recording.