faulty mz-n510 help/advice

Rate this topic

Hi any help before i take this apart please, never tried to repair one before. the said model mini disc recorder has developed a fault with the headphone socket where it went a bit weird a couple of days ago, eventually just my left side of the headphones now work.

the headphones work perfectly with my other audio devices so it isnt a problem with them. the unit records  it plays it works via usb with sonic stage its just giving me left side mono sound, same thing happens when connected to my amp and speakers.

the only other signs of wear and tear  is a little gap in the disc loading door when closed again from a well used machine of this age this is expected, and surely would have no bearing on this mono audio thing?

any help would be appreciated.......oh ive been away from the forum for a while without a windows based pc i wasnt using MD but bought a windows based laptop so back with MD for another round and enjoying using them again.....cheers.... james.

Could be the amp or perhaps a missing/broken/worn solder connection??

Thanks for reply yes,was thinking those things broken solder would be easy enough if the amp is gone then that's that unless I eBay another broken one and use the parts.

Looked and this model can be bought cheap enough working never mind a faulty one for parts plus I have the next model up plus a hi md still working this was like my for work one. It's now being used as the battery charger my hi md used as the recorder and the other one of these as the player.

Not sure it's worth taking apart will mull it over.

That headphone connection is a point of stress. Hence Sony's design with the 4-fingered side-flange which performs dual duty:

1. Relay control signals from wired remote

2. Takes strain off headphone.

So the advice would be in future NEVER use with bare headphones if you have a wired remote available. They pass the audio straight through so it's not like there will be any SQ loss.

Stephen

That headphone connection is a point of stress. Hence Sony's design with the 4-fingered side-flange which performs dual duty:

1. Relay control signals from wired remote

2. Takes strain off headphone.

So the advice would be in future NEVER use with bare headphones if you have a wired remote available. They pass the audio straight through so it's not like there will be any SQ loss.

Stephen

Good points. Yea my remote died years ago in fact been through a couple. I must just be hard on things. Thanks for input.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a little late, but you can actually fix broken solden joints. It's a little bit "ghetto style", but usually works.

Use your oven.

Pre-heat the oven to 190-200 degrees celcius. (385F)

Put the mainboard (only the mainboard) in the oven, place it on a plate, do not let it get into direct contact with metal.

Heat it for 7 minutes at 190-200 degrees celcius

Let it cool down to room temperature for about 40-60 minutes (or whatever time it needs to get back to room temperature.

Make sure it doesn't move (rotate) in the oven and that you do not use the microwave to heat it.

I fixed many devices this way, some of them I could not revive.

Do this at your own risk.