Buying new minidisc player

Rate this topic

MusicBringer

Sorry about your loss.

How about a Sony MZ-NH700,as a general, all purpose no-nonsense player/recorder? Definitely recommend it as a daily workhorse unit. My original one's still going strong since they came out over 10 years ago and may well outlast me at this rate. Has a very decent sound with some EQ tweaking and good earphones. Slightly chubby round the back with the AA battery bump, but no big deal for me.

Obviously you'll be lucky to get a new one these days, but they do pop up on eBay etc. for quite reasonable prices.

Thanks KJ_Palmer,

I shall keep a look out for one.

Of course what would be good is if I could get hold of some batteries.

Either the LIP-4WM batteries for my MZ NH1.

Or the NH-14WM(A) for my MZ NH900.

What does the MZ-NH700 use?

I have dozens and dozens of minidiscs in fact it prolly runs into a hundred or so. It seems a shame to give up on minidiscs.

Having said that perhaps I should move into modern technology. I fancy the new FiiO X3 II / X3K Second Generation.

PS. I see you are in London, same as me, in the leafy suburbs of sarf west London.

Hi MB, yes I'm in Barnet in North London, so the other end to you really.

The NH700 uses one AA battery (only), so no gumsticks or fancy Li-Ions to hunt for, just pop down the local pound shop for a pack of 6 alkalines and you're sorted for long time. Or you can use rechargeable NiMH's and recharge them in the device itself. On the other hand it loses some of the slimness of the other models, which you may not like.

I've also toyed with the idea of coming out of MD altogether, but never managed it, though I've got a Sansa Clip zip (also now discontinued) and a few other devices that play MP3 and suchlike.

I've also got a substantial MD collection: over 200 MDs mostly LP2, and 50 Hi-MDs, so plenty to feed the little beasts, and besides I like having a choice of media to choose from, CDs, vinyl, even the occasional cassette tape from way back when. Depend on your own needs of course, and doesn't hurt to try different formats.

Edited by KJ_Palmer

The Sony MZ-NH600 also not a bad player and prob cheaper, again uses AA batteries. The ones to avoid are those that use the special gumstick batteries even though the players may be the best in the world - no good if batteris cant be got? The Sharp MD-MT88/99 also good. Have a better easier to read screen than the NH600 but dont have tone controls  and isnt net-md or hi-md so cant download from  your pc. Unlike the NH600 has a metal case it  does have  LP mode

There is no particular shortage of the gumstick batteries - indeed, almost 2x per year we hear on here of a new supplier or brand. On top of that with the battery reviving computer powered chargers such as BC700 very few of them need to be discarded. In fact they are quite long-lived, if treated properly. The biggest problem seems to be decomposition at the contacts (often the battery door) and the necessity to clean up and shine the contacts afterwards.

The Li Ion batteries (RH1, NH1 etc) are another matter entirely. In the short term they tend to produce more reliable output (hours of playing time) but in the long term they inevitably die and are impossible or very expensive to replace. More than the value of the unit in some cases.

YMMV

Edited by sfbp

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 25/05/2015 at 6:44 PM, KJ_Palmer said:

I've also toyed with the idea of coming out of MD altogether, but never managed it, though I've got a Sansa Clip zip (also now discontinued) and a few other devices that play MP3 and suchlike.

I've also got a substantial MD collection: over 200 MDs mostly LP2, and 50 Hi-MDs, so plenty to feed the little beasts, and besides I like having a choice of media to choose from, CDs, vinyl, even the occasional cassette tape from way back when. Depend on your own needs of course, and doesn't hurt to try different formats.

Hello KJ, just had to comment on your "escape Minidisc but keep coming back" remark - I'm exactly the same. I also have a Sansa Clip but sold it. Don't get me wrong the convenience and sound quality were great... but the novelty of having 2000+ songs wears off and I just enjoy Minidisc more.

Menawhile back at the thread - OP, can you not just use an AA sidecar? Do the Hi-MD units not support that option? I can't remember the last time I used a gumstick battery as they seem really unreliable. It makes the MD unit a bit more bulky but you get the utility of using batteries available _everywhere_ and by using Ni-MH you save money and the environment.