Life time of battery

Rate this question

joeseptuk

Question

How long does the battery in the Nw-A1000/3000 last, will it eventually die and how long before you have to consider getting a new battery, and how much will it cost .

So when the battery is nearly dead, what are the options open to everyone, should I just buy a new player, I suppose if it works out cheaper thats what I will do

If it is around £70 for new battery aqnd what ever labour, what do you do,

11 answers to this question

The battery lasts a very long time, mine last way over 30 hours. I haven't noticed any loss in battery life just yet, but the manual says that it loses capacity after 500 charge cycles. Notice that this doesn't mean your battery is useless after 500 cycles, it just starts losing capacity. Most devices do that instantly. The battery replacement is extremely easy. You just pop off the cap on the back, loosen a few screws, put in the new one, tighten a few screws and you're back in business. This is all written in the manual by the way.

Good luck!

Ps. I really recommend the NW-A3000 for the longer battery life and the insane sound quality.

The battery lasts a very long time, mine last way over 30 hours.

:mellow: maybe if you use atrac 48 or 64, no way in hell does a battery on the A1000 last that long.

joeseptuk, why are you worried about your battery? unless the battery is already showing signs of death, I can get around 7-8 hours on mine with mp3 ranging from 192, some vbr and plenty of 320.

I'm getting around 8 hrs from a full charge, with everything at 105kbps ATRAC 3+.

I was thinking about returning it to Sony under warranty as this is nothing like the battery life they state in any of their documentation, and battery life was one of the reasons I chose it over the iPod :huh:

I did consider trying to change the battery, to see if this made any difference. I was stopped by general laziness and lethargy. Does anyone know how much a replacement battery would cost?

And is anyone else (apart from Xufar) getting battery life anything like Sony's specifications?

Under most ideal conditions i get about 20 hour playback.

I did a little test.

I let the unit (NW-A 3000) play all tracks with a full charged battery

(mp3 VBR average birate 160 (Lame, R3MIX)) volume 23 and not

move the player, the display on : six time 20 sec and with

the harddisk 80 % filled. (about 20 hour playback)

In daily use it is a lot shorter (Dit not monitor it yet),

but for Sure shorter than 10 hours.

If you want getting battery life like Sony's specifications,

you must use atrac 48 and not move the player around, no shuffel,

no EQ, and no use of the display.

About the availability of the sony battery for the NW-A 1000\3000:

I found no place where they sell this battery.

Bruut

Edited by Bruut

Yeah I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice?! I now realise that converting your music into the atrac format helps the battery life of the player but I failed to do this and have got it at the normal cd standard. Is there anyway I can convert the songs whilst on the player or do I have to wipe it and put it all back on again in atrac?

hmm any help would be appreciated!

How long does the battery in the Nw-A1000/3000 last, will it eventually die and how long before you have to consider getting a new battery, and how much will it cost .

So when the battery is nearly dead, what are the options open to everyone, should I just buy a new player, I suppose if it works out cheaper thats what I will do

If it is around £70 for new battery aqnd what ever labour, what do you do,

I understand that this may be a bit late for many users on this thread but I bought an A3000 in july. Battery life was good but as of late has gotten appalling - less than 3 hours at a single charge (mix of mp3 at 192 and atrac3 at 256 and i've the latest firmware installed, harddrive defragged etc.). Theres obviously something wrong and seeing the player wouldn't be covered under warranty (due to me opening it to fix something) i'm doing a diy job on it with a battery from ebay. Total costs of the battery is about £15 inc delivery - this should tide me through for another few months until something better comes along.

i'm doing a diy job on it with a battery from ebay. Total costs of the battery is about £15 inc delivery - this should tide me through for another few months until something better comes along.

May I also confirm that I proceeded replacing the battery with one I got from eBay for 15 quid (hey, ncl, thanks for the tip!) and my NW-A3000 is now back to normal. Battery times acceptable again. It really *is* worth it.

Just be careful how you open the device (instructions on the Operation Guide & Service Guide) and get yourself a nice set of REALLY small screwdrivers!

Thanasis