Odometers won't count?

Rate this topic

NGY

The total recording/playing time odometers in setup appearing with the 330/520 are very useful, to estimate the usage of a given unit. However, I have noticed a weird thing, and wonder if anybody else experienced the same.

During past couple of months I acquired several MD decks (most of them at a reasonable price, that is why). The "fleet" now consists of (besides my first 510 from '98 and my PC3 from 2000) a 520, a 530, a 330, a 640, a 940, an S50 and a second PC3. Out of these, both PC3-s, the 640/940 and the S50 show recording/playing odometers standing at 1 hour (and spindle 2h), i.e., no usage at all. Only the 520/530/330 had certain run times.

It is weird, as

- I bought the first PC3 new, I did use it for many hours, and never reset the odometers

- the 640 and the 940 came second hand, both are in very good condition, the seller did not look like an "insider" whom I could imagine would have done a reset

- the S50 was found on ebay, seller claimed it has been her father's deck, and she did only a quick check of play - if that was the case, she probably did not  go into setup either

- the second PC3 was also on ebay, sold as parts or not working (no display), so I don't think the seller could do anything to these settings

Can it happen, that these counters reset accidentally (if yes, what is the cause), or that these won't even begin counting? The most annyoing example is my original PC3, that definitely run quite some time, as the others I cannot prove, though it looks very unlikely, that those had been reset intentionally.

Maybe once they went to MDLP ATRAC chip they changed the control circuits too so that there's no record. I think that in pre-MDLP there were less ways to determine the state of the laser and maybe one would replace it after n hours (i don't know what n is) if it came into the service centre.

I checked my PC3 - same result as you... stuck on 1 hour.

On 2016. 03. 19. at 8:29 PM, sfbp said:

I checked my PC3 - same result as you... stuck on 1 hour.

Ha... Interesting. Thanks for checking it for me.

I looked into the Service Manuals of all MDLP decks, and the odometers section is there in all. Strange, if the function is not working, why did not they remove the associated part from the manual?

• 1 month later...