MDS-JA22ES C13 Error

Rate this topic

bluecrab

Actually, I do have one other unit in "champagne": it is the MXD-D400 (which has Type S) in its JPN version. In the pic, it looks more silver than champagne, but in real life, it is the same color as the JA22ES. I also have a Kenwood MD-2070 and that one is silver-colored. It's in a box right now and has successfully avoided being photographed by me ;-)

D400.jpg

Thought I would post these photos.

I was listening to some music the other day on my recently acquired JA20ES, and towards the end of the disc it suddenly dropped the sound and the same time a strange rattling noise came from the deck.

My blood froze, such a nice unit and damaged? I had no proper time to check it immediately, so I just put it aside with a bad feeling, but today I decided to open the unit and try to fix it.

It took quite a while to take the drive apart, for the complex loading mechanism and shielding. Then it turned out that the same part is "guilty" as in bluecrab's JA22ES: the toothed rack that moves the OP. It lost one tooth at the same position, but the lost tooth got stuck in the grease on a farther part of the rack.  Looks like this loose/stuck tooth caused the drive malfunctioning, when it blocked the gear that drives the rack.

I quickly took the same part out from another deck (will certainly repair the broken one later), and reassembled the drive, also cleaned and greased all moving parts with fresh new grease. And while I was there, I checked the OP settings too. The whole repair took almost three hours, but now the deck works flawlessly again, so my pulse is back to normal.

So the question that bothers me is how on earth these racks broke in drawer loading drives (of expensive models), i.e., where the disc cannot be forced in or out manually, like on the slot loading units. And strange enough that this has happened - again - on a fairly new or hardly used machine.

DSC04184.jpg . DSC04195.jpg

My guess, NGY, given that the our units are so closely related and that they both seemed to be in NM condition, is that it could be a design flaw.  All the Sony tray-loading MD decks are kind of infamous for having issues, although it's not clear if this particular issue crosses model lines.

So, how could such an issue appear in a more-or-less-new production model? Very easily. Lack of appropriate QC, perhaps, or just a simple manufacturing mistake. I really can only guess! But I do offer my congrats to you for fixing your 20ES. Both the 20/22ES have some of the best SQ in the MD world for listening. Nice recorders, too, although I will spare my 22ES that effort.

:-)

• 2 years later...

I have silimar problem with my MDS-JA333ES.  Two years ago it had replaced laser because of C13 error.  ( now I think it was not  necessary) After laser exchange I didn't use it. 

But  a month ago I started use it and C13 happend. Loading tray works normal no strange sounds. If I remove top cover and gently push down minidisc inside it starts working for about week. Then again  C13  so I open top cover push minidisc and works fine. What could be the problem.? Loading tray seems to me ok but I could one more time disassembly it.

• 2 months later...

Didn't know what I could do to repair it so I put some Silicon+PTFE grease on main shaft  (laser travells along it) and on gears which move laser. Now it works just wonder for how long.

I noticed in service mode if you do traverse check (EF MO CHECK) you could move laser using arrow buttons (below digital rec control.)

The thing about grease is you need to clean off what's there before putting fresh grease. AND it must be exactly the right kind (it's white but that's about all I know). Maybe someone can post information about the appropriate kind of grease. This is likely the biggest reason for C13 except for busted laser.

Molykote EM-30L

You can buy 10 gram/ml portions for a few pounds (UK).

Something like this. Apply sparingly with a cocktail stick or similar fine applicator:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Molykote-Em-30L-Grease-for-audio-equipment-UK-Seller-Free-Del-100-Genuine/192930369139?hash=item2ceb8bce73:g:ROIAAOSwiPBc6-zg

ETA: Just read back through the earlier stories in this thread. Very impressed and kinda proud that people are repairing and using these beautiful machines! I’m all emotional!

My last efforts with grease didn't help it stopped working again. Yesterday I disassembled loading unit. Checked all gears around laser.  All looked like new, no signs of worn, cleaned all grease. Put it back and it works (no parts left ;) ). Question for how long. The only difference I noticed is that now  it works much more quiet.

maybe engine for disc rotating is weak - M101 A-4672-475-A MOTOR  ASSY,  SPINDLE - Mabuchi 11H WU5  in second MDS-JA333ES was Mabuchi 11H US4

maybe  engine for laser moving is also weak - M102 A-4672-474-A MOTOR  ASSY,  SLED - Mabuchi RF-300C-11440

• 2 weeks later...

After last cleaning 8 days gone and it is still working,  cleaning makes wonder . Question is why put grease  if Sony doesn't mention about it in service manual?

While recovering first unit  (changing parts from one to the other) I damaged laser and flexible connector PC Board  in second one. So I put the  "bad" laser which was replaced 2 years ago and it works without any problem. A serviceman was so  confident he knew what to do  but I am 100% sure that it was unnnecessary to change it , only cleaning would do the job. I won't go there to ask for laser adjustment, maybe I don't need  it if it is an old laser form the same machine and works. What do you think?

I think that assessing for good/bad OP seems tricky! I'm thinking I need to get myself a suitable LPM... I did buy a fairly nice 2nd-hand LPM last year but the sensor head is far too large to fit into an MDM (with the OWH "in the way").

Sanwa LP-1 has been mentioned on these forums but can anyone confirm if the sensor head will fit into an assembled Sony MDM mechanism such to make good-enough measurements (spending 200GBP is not throw-away money!)???

Kevin