MZ-RH10 HiMD repair?

Rate this topic

Thanks. Alas, that seems to have no effect. My cleaning disk appeared to work, but now when I test it, there's some clicking as if the laser isn't engaging properly and the display doesn't come on.

Weren't there some repairers that used to frequent this forum a few years ago? Alternatively, are there any service manuals about?

Jim Hoggarth was the last UK (sadly for you) member who had an as if "semi professionnal" MD repair activity here on this forum. It seemed that his health forced him to stop this so helpful for us job. Anyway, Jim had said that Hi-MD was not his favourite.

NGY is a recent member who maybe can give you a help. 

Thanks PhilippeC. I'll see if I can get in contact.

I was wondering if this meant it was time to get rid of my Hi- and Net MD units, but when I had a look I can't see anything that fits the same niche for portable music player but also high-quality edit-in-unit field recorder. I even like SonicStage! For me at least it's easy to transfer, clean, works as a swish jukebox...

So, perhaps I'll have to save up for repair abroad...

On 2016. június 16. at 1:37 PM, PhilippeC said:

NGY is a recent member who maybe can give you a help. 

I wish I could - but my hobby-level knowledge (though I am learning every day) is limited to those "bulky" decks. (Not least because those having "easy-to-see-and-pick" kind of parts - that seems getting more of a constraint for me, as time goes by).

Update:

Having said that, if anyone was about to part their broken HiMD gear, I am interested to buy, just out of curiosity, to have a feeling how these little gems look inside.

Hi mimerskol.

I really hope you are able to get your MZ-RH10 up and running, but if this proves impossible I would be very interested in buying it from you if the display works as my RH10 has the common oled display fail issue.  If you have no luck repairing it and are interested in selling, please let me know:)

• 1 year later...
On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:19 PM, mimerskol said:

Thanks. Alas, that seems to have no effect. My cleaning disk appeared to work, but now when I test it, there's some clicking as if the laser isn't engaging properly and the display doesn't come on.

Weren't there some repairers that used to frequent this forum a few years ago? Alternatively, are there any service manuals about?

it looks a lot like the problem johnjohn solved on a youtube video : bad contact from the open/close switch. If it was just a read problem, the display would light and after struggling, you would get a read-error message. your problem looks more like a fast on/off due to the switch problem.

To confirm, test it by firmly holding the lid closed by both sides after putting in a disk.