Sony CONNECT Regional Differences

Rate this topic

aznbro85

Hey guys,

While trying to research for some people's problems concerning the connect software, I had always consulted with the Connect USA's website as reference.

For some reason or another, I had decided to deviate and check out Sony Connect Europe , just to see how their store is run. I checked out the FAQ's and I was completely surprised at what I saw..

connectEU.jpg

I was completely stunned by this. In all of my advise I had referred to the US run store. The "We plan to introduce the ability to use your tracks on 2nd and 3rd PCs when technology allow" part is total rubbish. :blink:

connectusa.jpg

Using Connect USA, you're able to link up 5 different computers onto one account, allowing you to transfer tracks between them and to the player as well.

What. The. Heck. :excl:

Do you think they are playing favortism towards certain markets (ie. the USA) or do you think that there are local laws that are causing them to do this?

For all of you who aren't in the USA and are wondering, Connect USA lets you...

- Use up to 5 computers at a time to transfer songs onto your network walkman

- You have a purchase log of all tracks that you've purchased, and are allowed to download them onto up to 5 computers. The primary computer allows transfers over to network walkmans, mp3 cds, atrac cds.. the other 4 are play only

- The newer Network Walkmans can be authorized into your account, so when you transfer purchased tracks from their website onto your registered player, it does not use one of the "Check-Outs"

I'm kind of intrigued now. What features are present in the Connect website in your region? :mellow:

Edited by aznbro85

i don't use connect site for music since its not offered in canada. I wouldn't use even if it was, I prefer mp3 sites that offer better music, and at higher bitrates and or even eave. buying off corporate sites is rip in my view, since you are usually stuck with one device to transfer it to, ipod, walkmanm etc.

I completely agree with you Ascariss.

Sometimes, I feel that the 64kbps Atrac3plus files that I rip on my own from CDs sound better than the 132kbps ATRAC3 tracks that are offered at Connect.

Though I have nabbed a few items off Connect in the past, the primary reason I have one is so that I can use more than one computer to transfer songs to my network walkmans, and that the "check-in" really does work (allows me to transfer atrac files off my walkman and onto authorized computers)

I'll stick to my cd rips :)

P.S. Thanks for the info too, I'm surprised that they sell the Walkman, but don't have a corresponding music store up there :\

Edited by aznbro85

Well, i aint too suprised that at least one person finds their own-generated from-source ATRAC's better sounding that the corporate site downloads.

I highly doubt, in fact, the Connect Store downloads are source-generated ATRAC files judging by the ones i have heard (a friend buys from that source) - in other words, i suspect they are transcodes from one or more common licensable libraries and knowing that nearly all the licensable common libraries open to corporate sites to provide use low-medium Q lossy distribution libraries.. that could explain the lacking of life in the downloads i have heard.

I guess if you want to test the principle - take a CD in your collection and rip it to saw WMA 128K CBR (or Q50 if you prefer, as some downloads on commercial libraries are moving towards Q50 VBR WMA's) - then import the WMA lossy files to SS and generate ATRAC files to ATRAC3 105K (which i seem to recall is what's used by Connect store) and also to your preferred ATRAC combo and see if they also sound a little lifeless or however you feel the downloads from Connect Store sound.

The more i think of the downloads i have heard, the transcoding conspiracy theory begins to feel more and more likely..

I could be totally wrong mind...

'Tom Kat'

Haha... I think you're right on the money JustAnUnCoolCat

It makes perfect sense though -- the more you transcode/convert things, the more the quality deteroriates.

It's be silly to take a 64kbps WMA and transcode it to say.. 192kbps MP3 and think that the MP3 will sound better. It won't because the damage has been done already.

haha, boy has this post evolved..

My original intention was to point out my shock at the differences that Sony has decided to put on a regional basis.

I'm happy that I'm able to install the SonicStage software on 5 computers, and transfer music to the player on all 5, and send tracks from the player between the linked computers.

I was flabbergasted when I found out that the Connect stores that are outside of the USA imposes the 1 computer per player diddily

Edited by aznbro85

Thanks kerfuffle for your little tidbit about how it works in Australia. :)

yeah, i think i remember something about the Connect music stores are only in the USA, Europe, and in Japan (under the name Mora)

Wow, I really hope that's not the case that if you use your player on another computer you wont be able to use it on your own again :blink: