Hello all, and advice on unit for recording.

Rate this topic

Veggie

Hello everybody!

I'm getting back into Minidisc after a few years, and need advice on a good(and relatively cheap) unit for recording. I used to have a Sony MDS-JB930, but I regrettably sold that several years ago and am now using an MZ-N505(with deadhead) and MZ-R70. 

My questions are: What ATRAC version should I go for? I've heard 4.0+ and Type-R/S is best for recording? Should I get a full-sized deck, or is a portable OK for recording? I have heard varying accounts on this.

Source will mostly be FLAC via optical from PC, and all recording will be done in real-time. Playback will be on the aforementioned MZ-N505, MZ-R70, and an MZ-R37 that I will be picking up in the future.

These forums are a wealth on knowledge and I'm glad to be here :)

since  you had a deck get another one now? the Sony JB940's can be cheap. if you dont want a deck then maybe the easiest "portable" to record on for  MDLP is the sony MZ-B10 - it is Type R/S atrac has  built in speakers ( tinny yes ) and is easy to record with as it was intended as a dictophone, It has one button recording ( a very large button).  and doesnt  use some complicated menu system - it has separate buttons for  selecting record mode and disc erase.  it rests on the  table  nicely, I use this for recording from my PC's optical out - the  screen is  quite large. You could regard it as a mini-deck, has optical in and built in mic. Not sure about editing. They come up on Ebay quite often( in UK) some times at  good prices ( UK  approx £60 ) but there are some  chancers trying to get £100+ ( hehehhe). I bought 2 recently in fine condtion for £50-60, takes 2 AA  batteries that last for ages, or a 3V adapter. One of the few  Sony  MD I really love. If you do  go for one look for one that dont have the silver paint worn off the record button, as that means been used a lot for  recording?

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-B10.html

no never seen one of those - but seems to be an earlier version ( 2001 ) of the B10 ( 2003 ) - same  sort of thing "business recorder"

from the minidisc.org page seems to have stereo mic than the  mono of the B10. also  only uses 1 AA battery so  wont last as long. No indication of the  atrac type so presumably not R/S as the  B10 has. UK Ebay has  in the last few months had quite a few of the B10 at good prices - one a few days ago went for I think £51 - mine were no more than £60 each. so they can be got at a sensible price. matter of waiting and telling  ebay to email when a new offer comes up

The sony MZ-B10  doesnt have  tone controls unlike other of their models but does have 2 sound settings that emphasise voice - I think they added this to  make  the little  speakers  they have include  half useable - and it works quite well even for simple  vocal music ( it aint hifi more like a  tranny ) - the speakers is the reason I like the portable as some times cant be bothered to get out the headphones.- that and the battery life ( the 2 panasonic AA i am using  must have run atleast 10 hrs now and still the battery level says full )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...